[JPL] Boxing and Jazz

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 24 00:03:34 EDT 2008

The Boxing and Jazz Awards......

I checked out the website.  Congrats on the recognition Jae!  I've
done an interview with Evander Holyfield once  for Jazz Tracks.  We
talked a little about boxing but mostly about Father's Day which the
show was centered around.  He was one of many celebrities that I spoke
with on that show.    There of course is the elements of style,
preparation, surprise and improvisation that accompanies both idioms.

Pugilism and Jazz.  That's an interesting combination.  Miles Davis is
the biggest connection for me to boxing.  He had a profound love for
Sugar Ray Robinson and he was very good with his hands as is his son
Gregory who won the Golden Gloves competition I believe.  I always
think of that tune that Monte Croft wrote on the second of his two
Columbia releases, "Survival Of The Spirit."  He wrote a tune for
Muhammad Ali called, "Rumble, Young Man, Rumble."  It was recently
redone on a Latin jazz recording by Craig Russo (I believe) in Afro-
Cuban fashion.

Keep it swinging,

Bobby