[JPL] Halloween

MICHAEL P STRATTON dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 24 11:25:18 EDT 2008

Here's a set list I composed several years before I was posting here:

10/26/03 This week’s show is devoted to Halloween – ten sets of music designed to celebrate fall and the season while also capturing the frights  of Halloween…

1) Deliver Us From Hank Williams –
Norah Jones – Cold Cold Heart
Orquestra Was – Forever’s A Long Long Time
Cassandra Wilson – I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry
NOTHING strikes terror into the heart of jazz fans like COUNTRY MUSIC!!!!

2) Witches
Frank Sinatra – Witchcraft
Wayne Shorter – Witch Hunt
NOTHING strikes terror into the heart of men like WITCHES!!!!

3) Bring Me The Head of Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix – Voodoo Chile Blues
Don Byron – If 6 Was 9
Laurie Anderson – 1983
NOTHING strikes terror into the heart of Republicans like the HEAD OF JIMI HENDRIX!!!!

4) Wicked Funk
James Brown – Doin’ It To Death
Hagans/Belden – Killer Instinct
NOTHING….oh forget it!

5) Darker and Weirder
Rabih Abou-Khalil & The Balaescu Quartet – Dreams of a Dying City
Billie Holiday – Gloomy Sunday
The contrast between Arabic textures and 1930s melodrama is almost nauseating.
Truly horrific.  Must be experienced for the full repulsive impact.

6) Texas Chainsaw Saxophone
David Murray – The Hill
Thelonious Monk – Friday the 13th
Okay – they aren’t from Texas.  But it’s still spooky, no?

7) Night of the Living Shepp
Archie Shepp – Syeeda’s Song Flute
Mingus Big Band – Devil Woman
Zombies eat my blues….

8) Mars Needs Women
Myth/Science – Love In Outer Space
Sun Ra – Saturn (4)
Set #8 from outer space.  Ra, Ra, Rah!!!

9) Actual Voodoo
Azouke Legba – Vodou Le
Islamic Ritual by Master Musicians of Jajouka Leader – Ceremonies Against The Night Of The Devil
The Philadelphia Experiment – Calling All Demons
Miles Davis – Miles Run The Voodoo Down
This set of music might raise the dead.  Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

10) Hell & Above…
Marianne Faithfull reads Poe’s – Alone
Robert Johnson – Hellhound On My Trail
Jimmie Scott - Heaven

A note of possible redemption.  I promise you the weirdest 3 hours of radio you’ve ever heard this Sunday night.

Mike Stratton
WLNZ/The Vinyl Side of Midnight
790 W. Lake Lansing Rd.
East Lansing, MI. 48823