[JPL] Halloween

Jason M Miller jmmiller at my.lamar.edu
Wed Sep 24 11:31:48 EDT 2008

Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross - "Halloween Spooks"

MICHAEL P STRATTON wrote:

>This week's sponsor:  Lisa Hilton
>
>Lisa Hilton's SUNNY DAY THEORY is having a positive impact at radio as
well as with critics.  Her tenth disc to date and featuring Lewis Nash
on drums, Larry Grenadier on bass and Brice Winston on tenor sax
debuted at #32 on the JazzWeek chart, as well as #2 most added and #5
most increased play,  while showing #25 on the CMJ jazz chart last
week, with many reports appearing in the Top 10. Media Guide reported a
spincrease of 149 for the same week.  All About Jazz writes that Hilton
is: ''a top notch piano player with a touch mixed with a set of chops
that rivals anything Brad Mehldau has put out in his much heralded
career.'' Hilton appears at Catalina Bar and Grill/Hollywood on 9/23/08
 www.LisaHiltonMusic.com

>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>

>Here's a set list I composed several years before I was posting here:
>

>10/26/03 This week’s show is devoted to Halloween – ten sets of music
designed to celebrate fall and the season while also capturing the
frights  of Halloween…

>1) Deliver Us From Hank Williams –
>Norah Jones – Cold Cold Heart
>Orquestra Was – Forever’s A Long Long Time
>Cassandra Wilson – I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry
>NOTHING strikes terror into the heart of jazz fans like COUNTRY
MUSIC!!!!

>2) Witches
>Frank Sinatra – Witchcraft
>Wayne Shorter – Witch Hunt
>NOTHING strikes terror into the heart of men like WITCHES!!!!
>
>3) Bring Me The Head of Jimi Hendrix
>Jimi Hendrix – Voodoo Chile Blues
>Don Byron – If 6 Was 9
>Laurie Anderson – 1983
>NOTHING strikes terror into the heart of Republicans like the HEAD OF
JIMI HENDRIX!!!!

>4) Wicked Funk
>James Brown – Doin’ It To Death
>Hagans/Belden – Killer Instinct
>NOTHING….oh forget it!
>
>5) Darker and Weirder
>Rabih Abou-Khalil & The Balaescu Quartet – Dreams of a Dying City
>Billie Holiday – Gloomy Sunday
>The contrast between Arabic textures and 1930s melodrama is almost
nauseating.
>Truly horrific.  Must be experienced for the full repulsive impact.
>
>6) Texas Chainsaw Saxophone
>David Murray – The Hill
>Thelonious Monk – Friday the 13th
>Okay – they aren’t from Texas.  But it’s still spooky, no?
>
>7) Night of the Living Shepp
>Archie Shepp – Syeeda’s Song Flute
>Mingus Big Band – Devil Woman
>Zombies eat my blues….
>
>8) Mars Needs Women
>Myth/Science – Love In Outer Space
>Sun Ra – Saturn (4)
>Set #8 from outer space.  Ra, Ra, Rah!!!
>
>9) Actual Voodoo
>Azouke Legba – Vodou Le
>Islamic Ritual by Master Musicians of Jajouka Leader – Ceremonies
Against The Night Of The Devil
>The Philadelphia Experiment – Calling All Demons
>Miles Davis – Miles Run The Voodoo Down
>This set of music might raise the dead.  Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
>
>10) Hell & Above…
>Marianne Faithfull reads Poe’s – Alone
>Robert Johnson – Hellhound On My Trail
>Jimmie Scott - Heaven
>
>A note of possible redemption.  I promise you the weirdest 3 hours of
radio you’ve ever heard this Sunday night.