[JPL] Next week on satellite radio's Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 25 10:17:42 EDT 2008

Happy Birthday Jean-Luc Ponty all week…the newest Beyond Jazz Chart revealed on Saturday’s MOJA Report…New Music on Premier Sunday and funky business as usual in our Brave, Cool World!  Come join us!

Russ Davis

Program Director

Beyond Jazz

33 West 60th Street

10th Floor

New York, NY 10023

russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (29 September-5 October 2008)

This Monday, September 29th we’ll present we’ll present a very special “Happy Birthday” edition of our feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the timeless music of JEAN-LUC PONTY on the day he turns 66 years old! As we begin the week-long celebration his birthday, we’ll give you a full hour of some of the great violinist’s finest music interspersed with some of Jean-Luc’s own words as he tells the stories that shed light on his wonderful career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great JEAN-LUC PONTY on MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle has a little bit of this and a little bit of that including this weeks’ featured artist, Jean-Luc Ponty.  Plus, she’s got some “roots-jazz” from Jerry Douglas, some pure funk from Poogie Bell, some fusion history from Miles Davis, organ groove from Jimmy Smith, old faves like Karl Denson and Stanton Moore and a whole lot more!

Twice this week, join us for JEAN-LUC PONTY LIVE @ XM on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll take you to the XM Performance Theater in Washington, DC to hear the French master JEAN-LUC PONTY and his awesome band perform a set that includes not only cuts from his latest release, “The Acatama Experience” but also some crowd-pleasing classics from days gone by. It’s JEAN-LUC PONTY LIVE @ XM on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

It’s a JEAN-LUC PONTYFEST on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Well, this Friday’s edition will be a very special one since it’s the birthday of one of the greats of Fusion history, Jean-Luc Ponty. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece featuring the great French violinist, either solo, with The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Frank Zappa or George Duke. It’s a JEAN-LUC PONTYFEST on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark runs down the top 20 on the latest Beyond Jazz chart and tells you how you can get your own copy.

This Saturday, October 4th, we'll present another edition of our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ that helps us close out a week-long celebration of one of the most famous jazz men of all time on a special presentation titled “HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEAN-LUC PONTY!” Join Russ Davis as he shares portions of his many conversations over the years with the world-famous French violin master. Plus we’ll hear music from his incredible career that spans parts of five decades including some of his latest solo release “THE ACATAMA EXPERIENCE.” Interview segments followed by his great music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  It's “HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEAN-LUC PONTY” on WORDS & MUSIC, Saturday from BEYOND JAZZ.

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72

This Sunday, October 5th, we’ll leap into autumn with more great, new music on another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz as we offer you music from 3 new releases.

First, you’ll hear from one of the hardest working men in show biz and one of the reigning kings of the jazzy-jamband genre, Charlie Hunter, on his new CD titled “Baboon Strength.” It’s Charlie on a 7-string guitar with Tony Mason on drums and Erik Deutsch on organ and other keys.  There aren’t many trios, if any, that can make a sound this big, but we all know that Charlie is some kind of magician anyway, so get ready to hear the guys work their magic on Charlie Hunter’s new one, “Baboon Strength!”

Then it’s the versatile master of World-Music and Jazz, bassist, vocalist, composer and bandleader Richard Bona as he took to the stage in Budapest, Hungary in 2001 to create the music that has become his new CD “Bona Makes You Sweat-Live.” Since leaving his home in Cameroon, Richard has found himself working with some of the greats like Joe Zawinul, Pat Metheny, Mike Stern and dozens more.  And now he adds to his list of solo works with a joyous set of tunes including his own songs as well as those of Joe Zawinul, Stevie Wonder and others on his new CD “Bona Makes You Sweat-Live.”

For good measure, we’ll include another live tune, this one a collaboration between Herbie Hancock and Joni Mitchell as they perform Joni’s classic “River” in front of an adoring audience.  It’s a cut from Herbie’s new greatest hits CD “Then & Now: The Definitive Herbie Hancock” which includes this never-before released tune.

So listen for all this great, new music beginning at 5 PM Eastern time, that’s 2 PM Pacific, this Sunday, October 5th, here on Beyond Jazz. It’s another PREMIER SUNDAY.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.