[JPL] Programming guidelines/Question

David Johnson djohnso2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 15:34:06 EDT 2008

Listeners, people, what have you, respond to genuine soul.  They do.  Just trying to be yourself, in a way that's engaging and entertaining, will pay off over the long run.  I'm not saying that a programmer should ignore his or her audience, or the time of day they're on the air (I know jazz fans who think the coolest thing you could do would be to lay down Cecil's UNIT STRUCTURES or an extended late-Coltrane piece at 9 in the morning, your drivetime audience be damned!), or that one shouldn't try to work on certain individual tendencies that might be self-indulgent; just that in the end, the spark of individual integrity is not necessarily at all at odds with successful and appealing programming.  There are a number of programmers on this listserv who IMO pull that off quite well.

David Brent Johnson
Night Lights/Afterglow
WFIU-Bloomington, IN