[JPL] USB Turntable

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Sun Sep 28 13:23:38 EDT 2008

eflash17 at comcast.net wrote:

> I know this has come up before, but I am seriously thinking about getting a USB turntable to move some of my vinyl to the computer for back-up and iPod reasons.
>
> If you have one, do you like it?  How is the sound quality?  Is there special software I should get above and beyond what comes with the turntable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Flash
> --

I have a Numark USB turntable. I'm satisfied with it.

Why do you want a USB turntable? I bought a USB turntable when my other
turntable died. Most turntables come with phono jacks. On a PC you can
plug the phono jacks into the Line In of your computer's sound card. You
might need to buy a stereo 'Y" cord from Radio Shack because your
turntable will have a right and left output. You simply plug the phono
jacks into a "Y" with a male mini plug and then plug the mini plug into
your computer's soundcard. You may need a pre-amp. You have to use one
with some turntables.

I can't say much about software since I use Linux and my guess is that
you don't use Linux. My turntable came with some software named Audacity
which I already used. When I used Windows, I had CD burning software. It
was a popular package but I don't remember the name. It came with
software to use to copy your lps to CD. If you have CD burning software,
check to see if it also will work with converting your lps to CD.

The USB turntables are useful but if you have a working turntable
already, you might not want to spend the money.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz