[JPL] The Jazz Session #45: Javon Jackson

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Sep 29 08:55:02 EDT 2008

Hello friends,

I've noticed recently that my interviews on The Jazz Session are
delving more deeply into philosophical territory -- whether it's the
philosophy of music or larger questions of humanity, spirituality,
religion and politics. The show is still very much about the music,
but I'm getting a lot of satisfaction out of extended conversations
with jazz musicians about the contexts in which they make music.

This kind of interview doesn't happen with every artist, but I bring
it up because it happened to me today. I spent part of my day in
Woodstock, NY, at the home of pianist Marilyn Crispell. I was there
to interview her about Vignettes (ECM, 2008), her recent CD of solo
piano work. She was such a welcoming presence and so open about every
aspect of her music-making. A 20-minute interview turned into a 40-
minute interview, and I would have been quite happy to spend hours
with her, talking about music and human interaction. You'll hear my
interview with Marilyn in a few weeks.

I also talked with Kate McGarry this week, and we spent a lot of time
discussing the philosophical foundations of Kate's music and how she
uses her music as an expression of her worldview. You'll hear that in
a few weeks, too.

This week's show is very different than those two shows, and also
different than any other episode of The Jazz Session. On this
episode, saxophonist Javon Jackson takes you on a track-by-track trip
through his new CD, talking about the inspiration behind each and
every track, and telling fascinating stories about his remarkable
life in music. (See below for more details.)

FREE! FREE! FREE MUSIC: Be sure to visit the Web site or listen to
The Jazz Session to win free music! I'm giving away free CDs just
about every week, and this week is no exception. Listen to the shows
and visit http://thejazzsession.com for instructions on how to win.

COMING UP IN THE WEEKS AHEAD: McCoy Tyner, Marilyn Crispell, Jack
DeJohnette, Kenny Garrett, Henry Grimes, Brian Blade, David Sanborn,
Satoko Fuji, Erin Bode, Lee Shaw, Kate McGarry, Stevie Holland, The
Wee Trio, Barbara Dennerlein ... and many more!

Finally, The Jazz Session Cause of the Month this month is Musicians'
Village in New Orleans. Details about the Village and how you can
help can be found later in this message.

Here's the detailed update for this week:

*** NEW EPISODE! ***

Jason Crane interviews saxophonist Javon Jackson. On his new
recording for Palmetto Records, Once Upon A Melody, Jackson pays
tribute to the people and songs that have influenced him, from Wayne
Shorter to Sonny Rollins to Ramsey Lewis to Corinne Bailey Rae.
During this interview, Javon leads a track-by-track tour of the
record, and you’ll hear excerpts from every composition. He’s joined
on the album by pianist Eric Reed, bassist Corcoran Holt and longtime
musical partner Billy Drummond on drums. Find out more at
javonjackson.com.

LISTEN:

1. Visit <http://thejazzsession.com> and use the easy built-in player

2. If you use iTunes, clicking on the following link will open
iTunes, subscribe you to the show, and download the most recent
episode. This really helps the show grow, so please use this method
if you can:
<itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast>

TJS CAUSE OF THE MONTH(S): Musicians' Village in New Orleans

The tragedy in New Orleans was a turning point in my life, even
though I’ve never been there. For me, it was the single most glaring
example of what’s wrong with our government and right with our
nation. I’ve been featuring New Orleans charities — particularly
those that deal with cultural restoration — in my Cause of the Month
for quite a while now. I’m proud to announce the newest addition:

Musicians’ Village was conceived by New Orleans natives (and jazz
musicians) Harry Connick, Jr. and Branford Marsalis. Musicians’
Village will provide a home for both the artists who have defined the
city’s culture and the sounds that have shaped the musical vernacular
of the world.

Please help these folks do what they do by visiting their Web site:
<http://www.nolamusiciansvillage.com/>

And keep an eye on http://thejazzsession.com in the upcoming weeks
for a show featuring residents of Musicians' Village.

Thanks.

Jason

--
Jason Crane
Host/Producer

E-MAIL: jason at thejazzsession.com
WEB: http://thejazzsession.com

"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge."
-- Bertrand Russell