[JPL] A-Trane Playlist November 27, 2009 - CFRO Vancouver BC

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 01:29:59 EST 2009

*A-Trane Playlist November 27, 2009*

No. * Song title * * * Artist *:* Recording * * Label * Instrumental *[MAPL]

1 * Take the A-Train * * * Tony Foster *:* In Between Moods * * TFM *
yes *[MAP-]

2 * Blues to Bechet * * * John Coltrane *:* Plays the Blues * * Atlantic *yes
* [----]
3 * These Foolish Things * * * Sidney Bechet/Martial Solal *:* Bechet Solal
* * Vogue * yes * [----]
4 * Pour Sidney * * * Francois Houle *:* aerials * * Drip Audio * yes *[MAP-]
5 * Blue Horizon * * * Sidney Bechet *:* Complete Blue Note * * Mosaic * yes
* [----]
6 * Portrait of Sidney Bechet * * * Duke Ellington Orch. feat. Paul
Gonsalves *:* New Orleans Suite * * Atlantic * yes * [----]

7 * Off Minor * * * Freddie Hubbard/Gary Smulyan *:* MMTC * * Musicmasters *yes
* [----]
8 * Here's That Rainy Day * * * Jeff Barone/Joe Magnarelli *:* Open Up
* *Jazzed Media
* yes * [----]
9 * How I Miss the Rain * * * Tony Foster *:* In Between Moods * * TFM * yes
* [MAP-]

10 * Stop & Listen * * * Mississippi Sheiks *:* Stop & Listen * * Yazoo * No
* [----]
11 * Stop & Listen * * * John Hammond *:* Things About Comin' My Way *
*Black Hen
* No * [M-P-]
12 * That's It * * * Mississippi Sheiks *:* Stop & Listen * * Yazoo *
yes *[----]
13 * That's It * * * Bill Frisell *:* Things About Comin' My Way * * Black
Hen * yes * [M-P-]
14 * I've Got Blood In My Eyes For You * * * Mississippi Sheiks *:* Stop &
Listen * * Yazoo * yes * [----]
15 * I've Got Blood In My Eyes For You * * * Robin Holcomb/Wayne
Horvitz/Steve Dawson *:* Things About Comin' My Way * * Black Hen * No *[M-P-]

16 * Requestin' Gestrin * * * Chris Tarry *:* project 33 * * Black Hen * yes
* [MAP-]
17 * Horse's Dream * * * Peggy Lee/Chris Tarry *:* Songs from the Big House
* * Spool * yes * [MAP-]
18 * Humphries Tide * * * Muskox *:* 5 Pieces * * Standard Form * yes *[MAP-]

19 * Subterranean Homesick Blues * * * Ben Sidran *:* Dylan Different * *Nardis
* No * [----]
20 * Masenqo * * * Mulatu Astatke & the Heliocentrics *:* Inspiration
Information * * Strut * No * [----]
21 * Dock Boggs * * * Canaille *:* Potential Things * * Standard Form * yes
* [MAP-]

22 * Street of Dreams * * * Heaven on Earth/James Carter *:* Heaven on Earth
* * Half Note * yes * [----]

*** Talk with Coat Cooke

23 * Thorsburger_The Works * * * The Now Orchestra *:* Animal Tales * * Now
Orchestra Records/Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]

*** Talk with Coat Cooke

24 * Animal Tales * * * The Now Orchestra *:* Animal Tales * * Now Orchestra
Records/Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]

Covered a lot of territory this week to make up for the maintenance last
week, started off with a wonderful version of the theme from Vancouver
pianist Tony Foster's new disc (see http://www.tonyfostermusic.com/) and
with the Mississippi Sheiks around the corner, launched into a few views of
the blues with Sidney Bechet. Some early sightings of Gary Smulyan and Joe
Magnarelli before their Cross-Border Jazz visit to the Cellar in December,
and a dialogue about the rain with Tony Foster.

The new Mississippi Sheiks tribute disc produced by Steve Dawson for Black
Hen covers a lot of incredible territory and some spine-tingling chills
sampled with some back-to-back comparisons with the originals. (See
http://www.blackhenmusic.com/album/things-about-comin-my-way) Stayed with
Black Hen for Chris Tarry's visit to the Cellar on the 27th/28th.

Some other recent releases and acquisitions: a couple of fine releases on
Standard Form (http://www.standardform.org/) - a new label to watch out of
Toronto with some very creative acoustic chamber jazz; this year's
collaboration of Ethiopiques star pianist Mulatu Astatke with UK afro-beat
jazzers the Heliocentrics; another of Ben Sidran's takes on Dylan and James
Carter taking a walk on Broadway with John Medeski and crew.

Coat Cooke dropped by in the last hour to chat about goings-on with the Now
Orchestra/Orkestra Futura and their performance at the Cultch on November
28th featuring Stefan Smulovitz's Mad Scientist Machine as L.E.D. by the
Light (see
http://vancouverjazz.com/2009/11/hear-it-now-2009-led-by-light.html) and
played the works from the Now Orchestra's release from this year.

N.

________________

Contact:
Nou Dadoun