[JPL] Jazz Police!

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Thu Dec 10 22:08:33 EST 2009

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/dec/09/jazz-festival-larry-ochs-saxophone

  Spanish fan calls police over saxophone band who were just not jazzy
  enough

Festival-goer claims it was 'psychologically inadvisable' for him to
hear Larry Ochs Sax and Drumming Core perform

Jazzman Larry Ochs has seen many things during 40 years playing his
saxophone around the world but, until this week, nobody had ever called
the police on him.

That changed on Monday night however, when's Spain
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/spain>'s pistol-carrying Civil Guard
police force descended on the Sigüenza Jazz
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/jazz> festival to investigate
allegations that Ochs's music was not, well, jazz.

Police decided to investigate after an angry jazz buff complained that
the Larry Ochs Sax and Drumming Core group was on the wrong side of a
line dividing jazz from contemporary music.

The jazz purist claimed his doctor had warned it was "psychologically
inadvisable" for him to listen to anything that could be mistaken for
mere contemporary music.

According to a report in El País newspaper yesterday, the khaki-clad
police officers listened to the saxophone-playing and drumming coming
from the festival stage before agreeing that the purist might, indeed,
have a case.

His complaint against the organisers, who refused to return his money,
was duly registered and will be passed on to a judge.

"The gentleman said this was not jazz and that he wanted his money
back," said the festival director, Ricardo Checa.

"He didn't get his money. After all, he knew exactly what group he was
going to see, as their names were on the festival programme.

He added: "The question of what constitutes jazz and what does not is
obviously a subjective one, but not everything is New Orleans funeral music.

"Larry Ochs plays contemporary, creative jazz. He is a fine musician and
very well-renowned."

"I thought I had seen it all," Ochs, who reportedly suffered a momentary
identity crisis, told El País. "I was obviously mistaken."

"After this I will at least have a story to tell my grandchildren," the
California-based saxophonist added.

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations