[JPL] Wynton's cheap shot

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Tue Dec 22 18:11:04 EST 2009

dont know if i would characterize it as a "cheap" shot for publicity but lets at least acknowledge that Wynton is a very media-savy, world citizen. irrespective of whether one agrees in part or whole with his position, there is no question that he is a wizard when it comes to the media and public opinion.  i dare say he couldnt have thought that such a move would go unreported, or manage to float "under the radar," particularly in Europe.

then again, there is no question that whatever one's position about "what is jazz?" wynton has elevated jazz, and in the process allowed the debate about "what is jazz?" to remain on many screens.  his impact on Lincoln Center is a triumph.

let's ponder how, if and when jazz and the arts can ever supplant the miltary industrial complex?
how could the arts create jobs and opportunities in a wide array of sectors?
(what am i smoking? lol)
best wishes to all for happy holidays,
lets pray for peace in 2010.
ricky schultz