[JPL] On Freddie Hubbard

Christopher Sullivan csq-cds at hvc.rr.com
Mon Jan 5 20:44:57 EST 2009

On The Passing Of Freddie Hubbard

Freddie Hubbard not only was - he still is, as others before him - the inspiration of the generation in the course of its growth through the time period of now. His innovative expressions vibrate a sound of peace, assurance and continual elevation within a structural groove. As a young musician I would study Freddie. I would learn the tunes he performed on and break them - theoretically - apart. Freddie Hubbard became the school of study for many of my students, along with John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis, Archie Shepp and Yusef Lateef. My reverence as well as my study of Freddie Hubbard have come full circle with his passing.

I met Freddie many years ago at Pitt University, in Pittsburgh PA, where he was conducting a clinic and performance. I met him again very recently in NYC when we both played on alto saxophonist Floyd King's latest project. That was to be Freddie Hubbard's last recording. Also on that recording were Jeff "Tain" Watts, Laura Kahley, Mamoru Takahashi, Noriko Kamo, Hideo Kitawga and Tom Baker. Floyd King, who was a former student of mine, started a music collaboration with Freddie and produced the session for him in July, 2008. The last tune was entitled Free, an open form piece. As I sit back feeling and listening to this particularly expressive composition, I find myself reflecting on the 1960 Ornette Coleman Free Jazz release on Atlantic Records, "a collective improvisation of the Ornette Coleman Double Quartet" with Freddie Hubbard,  Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins, Scott LaFaro, Ed Blackwell and Eric Dolphy.

I feel very much honored within a beatifical realm to have been able and capable to perform and record with the masterful spirit of Freddie Hubbard. Of him the Evolution of the American Classical Music Art form shall continue to revolutionize...you digg

In Memory of Freddie Hubbard who has passed on.
For You continued to formulate and innovate Our American Classical Music...and like the Vibration of the Water Fall...
The Spirit of Your  Sound is Placed within the Great Gift to the World...
Thank You...My Brotha'

 Christopher Dean Sullivan