[JPL] Freddie's send off, pt II

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 16:49:11 EST 2009

 there were some people shooting pics and video...forgot to mention this.
probably searching YouTube the next couple of days for Freddie Hubbard Memorial or some such thing should yield some results.

one last, personal note...Freddie was a real favorite of mine.? as one of the many deeply effected by CTI Records, and who as a jazz DJ in the 70s spun LOTS of Hub tones/tunes ( ! ) he'll be missed.? i had the pleasure and privilege of spending time with him.

as a young producer Freddie was nothing but great on one of my early record dates ( Henry Butler's "Fivin Around" ).? and by great i mean, a very personable and giving artist.? he stayed into OT (for no extra bread to get one of the tunes right.? only problem is, i did not then ask him to take another pass at the earlier tune, which by then he would have nailed. [one of those lessons every producer or most everyone has to experience].

as a result if you listen to Henry's debut album (broadly eclectic (like Henry and very much by design)? you'll hear 1 "A" freddie hubbard performance and 1 that isnt quite up to snuff [my bad].? he was funny and sharp and if you got to know him very warm, most of the time.

to quote Marcus Miller at the memorial:? " I keep thinking about one word to describe Freddie Hubbard, and the one word which keeps coming to me is: BAD.? Freddie Hubbard was BAD."

step aside Gabriel....

ricky schultz

www.jazzconsultant.com

www.ResonanceRecords.org