[JPL] Freddie's send off, pt III

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Wed Jan 7 17:18:14 EST 2009

Okay Ricky,

Reading your posts, I just have to chime in... I created a post believe
it or not three times before this during the holidays and somehow they
didn't hit cyberspace as they somehow got erased, but I will try again.

I was fortunate enough to have spent time with Freddie on several
occasions over the years.  I will share the first time and the last time
in this post.

I first met Freddie over the phone many years ago while working at
WCLK-FM.  I found him to be supremely cocky and combative at first.  It
was only after he realized that I knew something about him and the
history of this music (Betty Carter was the same way with me) that he
relaxed and gave me the juice.  He talked about his years in
Indianapolis learning from who he referred to as "Those bubble-nosed
brothers" the Montgomery's, Wes, Buddy and Monk.  He said he would walk
away from their house and get headaches, getting his mind blown from all
the information they shared with him about this music and he spoke about
how important it was for his development before heading to NYC.  He
talked reverently about J.J. Johnson, his homeboy who had committed
suicide not long before we spoke.  He talked about how much he adored
Miles and kept referring to his sound, often imitated but never
duplicated.  He was disdainful of the New Lions craze and all of the
attention and press they were getting without putting in the work that
he and his predecessors did.  He loved Woody Shaw and Lee Morgan and
gave them their due.  He talked about racial disparities in the business
on and off the bandstand and how much it pissed him off.  He also said
some things that I could not put on the air but cherish because it came
from a real place that was shared with ME.  I consider it a gift from
him to me.  I still have that interview somewhere in my archive of tapes
and will have to find it.

The last time I saw Freddie was at an IAJE in NYC.  We were the only
ones in the bathroom by the basin washing our hands and he spoke about
his health and how he was struggling with everything including his lip.
He also said he was happy to be alive and to have the opportunity to
create some more.  He then went onstage to participate in a "live"
blindfold test in front of an audience.  He was amazingly insightful
about what he heard, some of which he hated and said as much and with
the old masters you could see him get really reflective and wistful.  I
think he might have shed a tear or two up there in appreciation of the
masters who contributed so much to this music.

I love HUB.  He was down to earth and honest, at times, brutally honest.
He wore his heart on his sleeve and if he loved you, he gave you his
heart.  Whenever he took the bandstand he understood that his legacy and
reputation was on the line and he took no prisoners.  I did a tribute to
Freddie over the Christmas holiday season and I can't remember ever
having a better time than playing some of those classic tunes.  He was a
jazz warrior in the truest sense.  I miss him already.

RIP Hub......

Aloha,

Bobby Jackson