[JPL] I'm in a Quandry

Toby Gleason toby_gleason at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 8 16:18:12 EST 2009

Whichever artist you've enjoyed listening to more in the past. As far
as "letting the music speak for itself," jazz albums, like rock, have
long had a history of putting photographs of pretty, sometimes
scantily-clad women on the cover. Though most often, not of the actual
album artist, themselves. Cal Tjader's original Ritmo Caliente and Mas
Ritmo Caliente albums are just two examples. I've often picked up
albums of artists I wasn't familiar with BECAUSE of the LP art,
whether it was a picture of a woman or not. Moacir Santos' Maestro is
an example of that. If we really want to let the music speak for
itself, why aren't we happy with jazz CD's coming  to us without cover
art, track and personnel lists and, most (or least) importantly, LINER
NOTES!
We programmers desire (or require) as much information as can be
supplied or gathered on the music we play, as we are in not just the
entertainment business but the education business. We should applaud
more information being included in release packaging, rather than
raise an issue that we, ourselves, cannot support in good conscience.

Toby Gleason
KRCB-FM
Santa Rosa, CA