[JPL] I'm in a Quandry

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 11:42:25 EST 2009

Yes, sex does sell but...in Eliane's case...she's an extraordinary musician and that part of her talent doesn't appear to be the focus on her new CD. To me it seems the lush production and imagery are taking precedent over the music. It's well arranged and musically organized but certainly predictable. The CD is not something that personally appeals to me but I'll play it as a programmer because our listeners will like it. To a large degree they expect to hear the familiar and in this case the familiar is done well. Unfortunately though, that is a big part of what keeps the jazz radio ships afloat. This also reflects one of the perpetual dilemmas in jazz...how to balance the familiar with the not so and keeping the music moving forward and interesting and at the same time, presenting very good radio.

That said, when the lines become blurred in the marketing concepts of selling the superficial vs meaningful art...in my view...the music suffers. It's also important to note that the company and the artists are not always to blame for whatever are the results. When mediocrity is embraced and presented by...lets say...programmers... it's a form of dumbing down and worse, it creates a level of expectation for our listeners...which again, can hurt the music.

Jae Sinnett
www.myspace.com/jaejazz