[JPL] PLAYLIST: "General Eclectic", WCVF-FM, 1/9/09, "After Christmas Show"

Tom Bingham mason2042 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:05:22 EST 2009

As some of you already know, my Christmas Special had to be canceled last
month due to a family emergency (which resolved itself happily, by the way).
But I didn't want to simply ignore the many fine Christmas CD's that arrived
for the show. Then it hit me - many (not all, of course) Christmas CD's
contain songs that can still be played even after the holiday is over. There
are many songs that disappear after Christmas that don't really need to -
what is specifically Christmas about such songs as "Jingle Bells", "Sleigh
Ride", and "Winter Wonderland"? They are simply "winter songs" which we have
come to associate with Christmas. Take my word for it - it took my wife and
I half an hour to shovel our way out of the house this morning. Winter is
not over! Another example - perform "What Child Is This" as an instrumental,
and you have "Greensleeves", which can be sung 365 days a year. As for "Let
There Be Peace On Earth," that should automatically be a 365-day-a-year
concept. One more example - David Bastien's song is set at Christmastime,
but its story of a homeless dog would work well at any time of year.Thus,
the first 100 minutes of today's show was devoted to non-Christmas songs
from CD's that were originally intended for the Christmas 2008 special.
Thus, the "After Christmas" show. I had originally intended to do only 60
minutes of "After Christmas", then go to my "irregular" format for hour #2,
but the phone calls I received encouraged me to keep it going until I ran
out of material. The last 20 minutes (i.e., final four selections) did NOT
come from Christmas/holiday/seasonal CD's. To the list:

Tim Green & Trio Cambia - Little Altar Boy - Change of Seasons

JanElaine Eller & Chip Martin - What Child Is This - The Eller/Martin
Christmas Project

Tony Bennett/Count Basie Big Band - I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm (with
Antonia Bennett) - A Swingin' Christmas

Chris Saub & Friends - Somewhere Dreaming - A Radial Christmas

Jim Brickman - All Through the Night - The Hymns and Carols of Christmas

Yellow Room Gang - Happy New Day - Happy New Day

David Bastien - Livin' In The Street - A Dog's Lyfe

Mary Jo Magar - Caravans - Pax Americana

James Murray - People Get Ready - Go Tell It!

Ronfo & Kindred Spirits - Wade in the Water - That Holiday Feelin'

Alison Brown Quartet with Joe Craven - Sleigh Ride - Evergreen

Steve Hall - Snowfall - Rejoice: A Christmas Celebration

Leonard Lopatin - Let There Be Peace On Earth - Squarely In The Holiday
Spirit

Cheryl Branz - Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow - The Christmas Gift

Hi Tide - Winter Wonderland - A Cayman Christmas

Gretchen Peters - Careful How You Go - Northern Lights

Harper Tasche - Vox Clamantis - Long Night Bright Star

High Lite Vibes - Jingle Bells - This Christmas Pan

Luanne Hunt (with Eric Uglum) - A Guest In This House - How Christmas Feels
To Me

Jay and Abby Michaels, The Harper & the Minstrel - Drive the Cold Winter
Away - Hope For the Holidays

Loreena McKennitt - Seeds of Love - A Midwinter Night's Dream

Yo-Yo Ma & Friends - Invitacion al Danzon - Songs of Joy and Peace

Phil Passen with Tom Conway - On a Cold Winter's Day/Cold Frosty Morning -
Cold Frosty Morning

Mylo and Emma Hatzenbuhler - Heifer Bells - A Very Mylo Christmas

Benjy Wertheimer/David Michael - Calling - Within

Paul Seaforth - Something Real - Something Real

Steve Ramsdell - Lisboa Siesta - Looking For . . .

Stephanie - Harvest Time Waltz - Polka Memories

Just a reminder - "General Eclectic" is now streaming on Live 365, Friday
mornings from 10 AM till noon. I suppose with the weather we've been having,
I should say "most Fridays"! You can find the link at
http://www.fredoniaradio.com
Unsolicited CD's are always welcome and are listened to. Send them to:

Tom Bingham
"General Eclectic"
WCVF-FM
115 McEwen Hall