[JPL] PLAYLIST JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 1/09/09

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Jan 10 01:18:10 EST 2009

Friday, Jan 9, 8pm–midnight, WGBH 89.7

BETTY ROCHE (b. January 9, 1920)
JAMES CARTER (b. January 3, 1969) also appearing at Scullers Jazz Club, Boston Jan. 9&10, 2009
plus WHAT'S NEW

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
James Carter: Out of Nowhere, Out of Nowhere (Half Note)
James Carter: Dodo's Bounce, PresentTense (Emarcy)
Cyrus Chestnut; featuring James Carter: The Journey, Cyrus Chestnut (Atlantic)

8:34pm
Betty Roche: Someone to Watch Over Me; Why Shouldn't I; Jim;
Polka Dots and Moonbeams; For All We Know, Lightly and Politely (Prestige)

8:58pm
Lage Lund: Celia, Early Songs (Criss Cross)
Kirk Lightsey: Wayne Shorter, Lightsey to Gladden (Criss Cross)
Luis Perdomo: Oblivion, Pathways (Criss Cross)

9:18pm
James Carter: Deep Throat Blues, The Real Quietstorm (Atlantic)
James Carter: I'm In A Low Down Groove, Gardenias for Lady Day (Columbia)
James Carter: Chelsea Bridge, Tough Young Tenors/Alone Together (Antilles)

9:41pm
Duke Ellington; featuring Betty Roche: Brown, Carnegie Hall Concerts 1943 (Prestige)
Duke Ellington; featuring Betty Roche: I Wonder Why, Live from The Club Zanzibar (itunes)
Duke Ellington; featuring Betty Roche: Take The "A" Train, Ellington Uptown (Columbia)

10:07pm
Benny Golson: Airegin, New Time, New 'Tet (Concord)
Bill Henderson: Old Black Magic, Beautiful Memory (AHUH Productions)
Martial Solal: On Green Dolphin Street, Live at The Village Vanguard (CAM Jazz)

10:33pm
Benny Golson; featuring James Carter: My Favorite Things, Tenor Legacy (Arkadia Jazz)
Steve Turre; featuring James Carter: Back in The Day, TNT (Trombone 'n Tenor) (Telarc)
Herbie Hancock; featuring James Carter: It Ain't Necessarily So, Gershwin's World (Verve)
James Carter: Laura, Eastwood After Hours/Live at Carnegie Hall (Malpaso/WB)

10:58pm
Betty Roche: Time After Time; Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man; Route 66;
All My Life, Take The "A" Train (Bethleham)
Betty Roche: Trouble, Trouble, Vocal Blues and Jazz (Document Records)

11:22pm
James Carter; Cyrus Chestnut: Sentimentalia;
The Intimacy of My Woman's Beautiful Eyes, Duets (Atlantic Radio Promo)
James Carter: Frisco Follies, In Carterian Fashion (Atlantic)

11:45pm
Earl Hines; featuring Betty Roche: Blues on My Weary Mind;
I'll Get By, Earl Hines and The Duke's Men (Delmark)

11:52pm
Betty Roche: Come Rain or Come Shine; When I Fall in Love,
Singin' & Swingin' (Prestige)