[JPL] Yoshi's S.F. changes its repertoire

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 14:47:26 EST 2009

"Last year, jazz stars like Chick Corea and Wayne Shorter played both rooms
over the course of a week, sometimes featuring different bands. It was a
promising plan, but the audience wasn't big enough."

My first thought to this statement was that if these guys don't draw enough folks for a club then the rest of us are toast. Jeez. Then I thought perhaps the artists fee's were too much for the venue. Or the cover charge not high enough but that falls into the too high fee thing.

I've performed at clubs all over the place for years and one of the things that has happened too often in jazz are artists...with marquee value...charging a fee that in reality is too high for the venue to pay. Then you have to look at the presenter that is willing to pay that fee. Most in jazz unfortunately don't make the return that is necessary in this situation and what happens is the downward spiral of the venue losing money...then claiming that jazz doesn't cut it. I don't hear many folks talking about this. I truly believe that many established artists are hurting live jazz opportunities and for other artists trying to establish themselves by charging ridiculous fees...ending up in many cases with the promoters or presenters losing money then not wanting to book jazz again. There is a level of greed in jazz believe or not that is hurting this music.

One thing I learned from Charlie Byrd...I worked with Charlie for years...was that he NEVER over charged to play and the venue he played in ALWAYS made money and brought him back...time after time again. Charlie knew this and consequently worked as much as he wanted and made good money. It's a theory like...well I'll ask for $3000 instead of $7000. Then $6000 comes in. Enough to pay the artists and the venue makes some money. Then they bring you back for $5000. I haven't seem many venues that bring artists and in many cases jazz back...when they lose money.

Jae Sinnett