[JPL] Who is Yuri Bashnet and Igor Butman?

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:15:29 EST 2009

> > Igor has been called "the Wynton Marsalis of Russia" for good reasons. The
> > jazz world in Russia revolves around Mr. Butman.
> > Best,
> > Tom

Tom,

Just curious: are you suggesting that the jazz world in the U.S. revolves around Wynton Marsalis? I have interviewed Igor and saw him most recently in Moscow in August. No doubt he is a good player and an important figure there, but it's a bit simplistic to say the jazz world in Russia revolves around him. For those interested in the current Russian jazz scene, you might glance at Jazz.ru, an impressive magazine and website edited by Cyril Moshkow. It's also got some english content for those who don't read Russian.

http://www.jazz.ru/.

Larry