[JPL] Who is Yuri Bashnet and Igor Butman?

Tom Marcello tom at joelocke.com
Tue Jan 13 22:37:29 EST 2009

Hi Larry,

   No, I'm not suggesting that at all, but it may as you say be
overly simplistic, and no I don't feel that the jazz world in the
U.S. revolves around Mr. Marsalis. I'm a little too loose with my
quips today!

  That monicker "the Wynton Marsalis of Russia" was given to Igor by
some press agent a few years ago. The connection could suggest that
Butman has lots of political and press influences in Russia. Friends
in high places, so to speak, as does Wynton.

  Maybe I should have said "omnipresent" in Russia. That's a fact, I
believe.

   Yes, I know Cryil Moshkow, as a matter of fact, there is a photo
on his webpage of Joe Locke sporting a fine looking 80's head of
hair: http://www.moshkow.net/digest.htm

Best to all,

Tom

> Tom,
>
> Just curious: are you suggesting that the jazz world in the U.S.
> revolves around Wynton Marsalis? I have interviewed Igor and saw
> him most recently in Moscow in August. No doubt he is a good player
> and an important figure there, but it's a bit simplistic to say the
> jazz world in Russia revolves around him. For those interested in
> the current Russian jazz scene, you might glance at Jazz.ru, an
> impressive magazine and website edited by Cyril Moshkow. It's also
> got some english content for those who don't read Russian.
>
> http://www.jazz.ru/.
>
> Larry

Tom Marcello
Manager / Joe Locke