[JPL] The Bad Plus

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 23:20:21 EST 2009

Well said Jeff but the "rise" from this jazz person isn't related to if the Bad Plus is playing jazz or not. I could care less if they do. I love a LOT of non jazz music but I like it played well. When I hear Booker T play a groove...it grooves and you feel it. When I hear Zeppelin rock...they rocked and you felt it. When I hear Jimi playing the blues...he's playing the blues and you feel it. With me it's about the music and how well it's played, conceived, developed and presented. Absolutely nothing grooves or feels good on this record to me. Nothing. One of the most soul-less records I've heard in many years.

In spots frantic...in spots contrived...in spots astonishingly vocally weak and out of tune...in spots rhythmically and harmonically elementary... but this said...they are appealing to a portion of the "twenty something" crowd. In most cases in this area you obviously don't have to have those musical elements together to have a following or get good press. Twenty somethings are writing about the music they like and apparently many like them. You don't have to swing or groove. You can just play the cool song dude. That's all it takes sometimes. I played "Everyone Wants To Rule the World" from their "Prog" release. I felt that so I can view them objectively. Here though... a totally different story.

Jae Sinnett