[JPL] Playlist software

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 13 23:35:39 EST 2009

At 10:24 PM 1/13/2009 -0500, you wrote:

>Greg:
>
>I use an Excel spreadsheet, with either manual entry or cut and paste from
>my song title database.  The spreadsheet is set up to give music time
>totals for filling 18 minute segments, and includes time for breaks.  We
>have included the Desert Island Jazz playlists with our streaming
>reports.  It may be time-consuming, but it allows me to customize each show.
>
>David May
>Desert Island Jazz
>WHFC-FM 91.1 Bel Air, MD

We're way behind the curve at CKUW here in Winnipeg.  Every programmer
enters his/her playlist into Filemaker Pro on the studio computer.  Apparently
the station was looking at some more appropriate software, but rejected
whatever
it was they were assessing.  Since the station doesn't post playlists I
guess it's
not that big a deal.  We're a campus/community non-profit station, and the only
use of the playlists seems to be an infrequent station chart and occasional
SOCAN reporting.

The manager and I did an import from Excel of one my playlists directly into
Filemaker. Worked like a charm.  So a few days, on my regular Saturday shift
when there's no one around, I tried the import again.  The entire file
of  weeks
of playlists disappeared.  Except for mine.  I was more than a little chagrined
and embarrassed and apologetic in the email I sent to the manager.

Fortunately there's an automatic back up made of the Filemaker file every
couple
of minutes I guess, but I figured I was a goner for that faux pas.  I'm
back to just
typing in the information.

Maurice Hogue
CKUW Winnipeg