[JPL] A-Trane Playlist January 9th 2009 - CFRO Vancouver BC

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 01:31:43 EST 2009

A-Trane Playlist January 9th 2009

No. Song title * Artist : Recording * Label * Instrumental * [MAPL]

1 Take the A-Train * Tommy Newsom : Friendly Fire * Arbors Jazz * yes * [----]

2 Straight Street * John Coltrane : The First Trane/Complete Prestige
* Prestige * yes * [----]
3 Slowtrane * John Coltrane : Lush Life/Complete Prestige * Prestige *
yes * [----]
4 Intro/Old Devil Moon * Sonny Rollins : A Night at the Village
Vanguard 1957 * Blue Note * yes * [----]

5 Ode to Blackie * Joe Daley/Hal Russell : Newport '63 * RCA * yes * [----]
6 Ballad * Joe Daley/Hal Russell : Newport '63 * RCA * yes * [----]

7 Le Pingouin * Brian Barley/Claude Ranger : 1970 * Just a Memory * yes * [MAP-]
8 Two by Five * Brian Barley/Claude Ranger : 1970 * Just a Memory * yes * [MAP-]

9 Sunday * October Trio : :: Day In * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]
10 Looks Like It's Going to Snow * October Trio w. Brad Turner : Looks
Like It's Going to Snow * Songlines * yes * [MAP-]
11 Waiting Inside * Tony Malaby Cello Trio : Warblepeck * Songlines *
yes * [M-P-]

12 Little B's Poem * Joey DeFrancesco/Bobby Hutcherson : Organic Vibes
* Concord * yes * [----]
13 Old Wine New Bottles * Essence All-Stars feat. Joey DeFrancesco &
Grover Washington : Organic Grooves * HipBop * yes * [----]

14 Alpha Punk * Joe Locke : Force of Four * Origin * yes * [----]
15 Season of Change * Ernie Watts : To the Point * Flying Dolphin * yes * [----]

16 Heidi-B * Freddie Hubbard/Joanne Brackeen/Lew Tabackin : Sweet
Return * Atlantic * yes * [----]

17 Anos Durados * Fernanda Cunha/Ze Carlos : Zingaro * cid * No * [----]
18 Wind & Shadows * Dhafer Youssef : Divine Shadows * Jazzland * yes * [----]
19 Here Comes the Flood * Norma Winstone : Distances * ECM * No * [----]
20 Chemistry * Jon Hassell/Brian Eno : Fourth World Vol. 1: Possible
Musics * Editions EG * yes * [----]

21 Doubt Galore * Ted Warren/Doug Riley : Songs for Doug * CBC/Humber
* yes * [MAP-]
22 Rocket 88 * James Cotton : Blues Masters Vol. 4: Harmonica Classics
* Rhino * No * [----]

23 Dat Dere * Sheila Jordan : Winter Sunshine * Justin Time * No * [--P-]
24 Dis Here * Jake Langley/Joey DeFrancesco : Movin' & Groovin' * Alma
* yes * [MAP-]

I've found myself listening to a number of saxophone trios in the last
little while and thought I'd kick off the show with a few starting (of
course) with some from Coltrane and Rollins [sticklers will note that
Straight Street is not a trio but the cd player doesn't always play
what I want and when I heard Sahib Shihab's baritone I couldn't bear
to take it off].

Rediscovered a long-out-of-print classic as a legal download in the
Joe Daley at Newport (grab it yourself at
http://www.archive.org/details/Joe-D...ive-Newport-63). The most
recent Coda magazine has a cover article on Claude Ranger and
mentioned the Brian Barley trio prompting me to haul that one out too.
And the October Trio CD release is coming up so they fit in along with
Tony Malaby's trio, both recent releases on Songlines.

Besides another track celebrating Freddie Hubbard from the under-rated
Sweet Return, most of the remainder was upcoming shows in Vancouver:
Joey DeFrancesco (last weekend), Joe Locke, Ernie Watts, Fernanda
Cunha, Dhafer Youssef, Norma Winstone, James Cotton, Ted Warren and
the aforementioned October Trio with Brad Turner.

Finished up the show with another sweet return to Sheila Jordan's
wonderful recent release on Justin Time and a serendipitous pair of
Bobby Timmins tunes.

This week Josh Cole (bassist in the October Trio) will come down to
chat about the trio and the upcoming CD release gig at the Western
Front next Friday January 23rd and Tony Reif will drop in to survey a
number of recent releases on Songlines. More previews (Jodi Proznick,
new Bill Frisell, new Jon Hassell, the Necks etc) and new releases
(Seamus Blake, Tony Monaco, SFJC, Chicago Jazz Philharmonic, Ross
Taggart etc) to come.

Can I have that big elephant over dere?

N.
__________________