[JPL] jazz suites

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Thu Jan 15 11:05:30 EST 2009

Aloha,

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, as I haven't read all these exchanges on 'suites' in detail, but the Dan Cavanagh's Jazz Emporium Big Band release "Pulse" on Origin, that just came out a few months ago, has a 3 movement suite called Mississippi Ecstasy.  Fantastic contemporary big band charts, plus some compelling spoken word lyrics.  One of my favorite releases of 2008 - upon first listening to this disk, I had one of those rare moments in that the music was so gripping that I had to pull the car over so as not to be too distracted while driving!

The light is on,

Brad Stone
KSJS-FM
San Jose