[JPL] Jazz Suites

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Thu Jan 15 18:46:33 EST 2009

Bill Barton said:
> I'd add an enthusiastic "second" to the mention by George Thomas of Don
> Cherry's Relativity Suite.  And...
>
> Don Cherry - Brotherhood Suite
> Abdullah Ibrahim - The African Suite
> Clifford Thornton - Gardens of Harlem
Thanks Bill for reminding me of the Clifford Thornton LP.
3 of us were taking exchange courses at Wesleyan where
Clifford was teaching and he invited us to the recording
session in April 1974. We showed up at Blue Rock Studio and Clifford met
us at the door and asked me where my axe (french horn)was as Sharon
Freeman
hadn't been able to make the session. I could of been a contender
(unlikely) but I did get to watch Carla Bley and an amazing cast
of players:

    Bob Stewart (tba)
    Charles Stevens (tb)
    Janice Robinson (tb)
    John Thompson (frhn)
    Gregory Williams (frhn)
    George Barrow (bar, fl)
    Pat Patrick (ts, ss)
    Roland Alexander (ts)
    Carlos Ward (as, fl)
    Dewey Redman (as, ts)
    Clifford Thornton (cor, v-tb, shn, cabasa, bl)
    Michael Ridley (tpt)
    Marvin Peterson (tpt)
    Leo Smith (tpt)
    Ted Daniel (tpt, flgn)

spend many hours pulling the session together.
Sadly, a title completely out of print.

Now back to trying to find just the right song to come out of
President Bush's farewell speech...

George

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio