[JPL] Atlanta losing Smooth Jazz?

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Thu Jan 15 21:29:26 EST 2009

Thursday, January 15, 2009, 2:14pm EST  |  Modified: Thursday, January
15, 2009, 3:44pm

  Smooth Jazz cuts staff

      Atlanta Business Chronicle

Smooth Jazz 107.5 (WJZZ-FM) has cut its local staff, according to Radio
& Records' industry blog.

The *Radio One*
</atlanta/gen/Radio_One_7F79EE4F26F1454DB60B76CDA5168A23.html> station
has reportedly fired Programming Director Dave Kosh and on-air talent
Greg Fitzgerald.

Radio & Records said word on the street is Radio One is cutting smooth
jazz for a new format.

In the most recent Arbitron monthly numbers, WJZZ ranked 15th in total
listeners ages 6 and above. The only jazz station left in the Atlanta
market is Jazz 91.9 WCLK- FM, which is supported by Clark Atlanta
University.

Tim Davies, Atlanta vice president and market manager, would not comment
on staff changes going on at the station. When asked if there would be a
format change in the future for WJZZ he said, "We are going to continue
with smooth jazz format for a predetermined amount of time and then we
will let folks know about our programming changes if they happen."

In Atlanta, Radio One also owns Grown Folks Radio 102.5 (WAMJ-FM), Hot
107.9 (WHTA-FM) and Praise 97.5 (WPZE-FM).

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations