[JPL] Time To Re-Think How We Do Radio

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Fri Jan 16 16:45:14 EST 2009

Aloha Jae and fellow JPL'ers,

To quote Duke Ellington in his book, "Music Is My Mistress" and it's one
of my favorite quotes about jazz....

"To not know the history of this music, is to miss much of its charm."

It is a beautiful and telling quote!  That being said, I believe you
don't have to be a musician, to share what you know about this music to
get people appreciate and get closer to the music.  You can get "behind"
the music and share stories that you know about the songs, the people;
the times it was created in to get people to listen in a different way.
For example....

During the 60's we all know about the bombing of that church in
Birmingham, AL that claimed the lives of 4 little girls.  I could play
"Alabama" by John Coltrane and not give that particular background.
I've heard hosts back announce the players and the year it came out.
How boring and insider is that approach!!  It would sound like a dirge
because of its somber tone and the uninitiated would probably tune it
out.  OR, I could talk about that incident and lead it up to the John
Coltrane song "Alabama" and the set up would give listeners a chance to
listen with an intent based on the history of why it was written in the
first place.  I might even tell them how the song makes me feel.  Now
that's getting personal, showing a little vulnerability and above all,
being human!  This kind of set up gives listeners a chance to use their
own aural imagery creating that tragic moment.  This kind of set up has
the potential to move from their heads to their hearts.  The context the
song is presented in makes all the difference in the world to how you
will listen to it.

I had a conversation with my Mom just last night about Sam Cooke's "A
Change Is Gonna Come."  She knew the song because it was popular but she
didn't connect it to what was happening at the time it was created.  I
gave her the background of Bob Dylan's "Blowin' In The Wind and his
connection to Woody Guthrie through Alan Lomax and all of these
connections through the Civil Rights struggle.  Now she listens with a
different intensity to all of this music.

As programmer's we should always look for ways to connect the music back
through our culture.  Like Charlie Parker once said, "If you don't live
it, it won't come out of your horn."  Music truly is a reflection of the
times it's created in.  As programmer's there is a need to be more
intimate with the music that we serve our audiences.  Not only will we
grow our audiences we will grow ourselves.

Keep A Light In The Window,

Bobby Jackson