[JPL] Time To Re-Think How We Do Radio

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 17:24:20 EST 2009

You are right Bobby and that's certainly one approach. I think...to my disadvantage in talking about these sort of things about radio is that most simply view me as a musician instead of a programmer. So consequently when I talk about radio the presumption could be that I'm approaching it from the musicians perspective. In my example from the previous note that would be true. However, the core of this issue has little to do with that.

I think every programmer on this list with a few years under their belt..as you and I have as a jazz host and programmer...can tap into the my thinking with this and give the listeners something more to latch on to in terms of comprehending what they're hearing. The history is cool and helpful but truthfully it misses the point of the problem...which is a musical one from my perspective. Everywhere I go as a performer there are always questions about the musical applications of the music. People are practically begging to "get it" but many don't. That's the problem with jazz and too often those of us in it consciously assume because we get it everyone else should or does. I rarely get asked questions about the history unless someone wants to ask my view on a particular artist or recording. That's usually the extent of wanting to know the history but the thing they are most interested in is how the music works. Many are afraid to ask with fear of sounding
 ignorant but that's what they want to know.

I think we're missing a great opportunity here to help folks with this and you don't have to be a musician necessarily to help them. There are "points' and such that many pocess in radio that can help the listeners but the focus and intentions have to be different. If we don't do something and start talking about this we're going to see fewer and fewer hours of jazz being broadcast. Then that will hurt live jazz. It's the domino affect really. I see it working here and I know it can else were but few seem to be interested in talking about it.

Jae Sinnett