FW: [JPL] Attractive Covers and Sex Sell Music

Martin Wright jazzman at hotkey.net.au
Fri Jan 16 20:16:04 EST 2009

Let's face it for many years, and still in some listener's minds, jazz
was associated with the seamier side of life. Even 45 years ago when I
first started to go to jazz clubs in Melbourne the girls were a very
interesting bonus and after all a young man cannot survive on music
alone. The debate on this issue has revived many great memories which
had disappeared into the back blocks of my brain many years ago; ranging
from some great album covers when they were large enough to be able to
carry a work of art or at least of note to some very late mornings in
Frank Traynor's jazz club amongst others.

Whilst many of us might be purists and there for the music alone many
many more enjoy a few bonuses as recognised by the marketers this
includes a little slap and tickle.

Unfortunately I can only enjoy the memories of past art as I am
currently living in the Australian outback in far north Western
Australia for a couple of years with all my records in storage and about
as far as you can get from either live or radio jazz and you can get.

Martin Wright