[JPL] Time To Re-Think How We Do Radio

Jeff Turton jturton at comcast.net
Sat Jan 17 12:54:25 EST 2009

No Jae I understand what you're saying. I'm not saying you're
lecturing (in the traditional sense), ranting or  anything like that.
You have also missed my point. I'm saying that people's perceptions
differ when they listen to the radio. I more than understand people's
difficulty with the music, I just don''t think the day to day
presentation is the best place to educate people on how to listen to
the music. I think there are far better ways to impart the knowledge
to those who want it and it's incumbent upon us to figure that out.
The new technologies and approaches people take in their listening
habits provide us many new opportunities. That's why I mentioned
podcasts. If people can download a podcast that's entertaining and
helps them listen to the music as they cruise around that's certainly
one way of doing it. If you were to produce a number of shows similar
to the one you mentioned in your first post and made these available
for download from the station's site it would be a great way to engage
listeners without talking up valuable programming time.  Video is also
another thing that's possible and again posting these for download is
a great way to allow listeners to learn on their own.  You mention
dead guys over the Living, In my limited time on the air each week I
rarely play dead guys because people can hear that somewhere else. I'd
rather let listeners know about all those living they can actually go
hear Live, it is a conscious choice I make in my programming. I don't
think I'm depriving my audience my doing making that choice. You have
a specialty show that provides access to an educational approach, hey
that's great for your audience if they appreciate it but most people
don't need that in their day to day listening. Look we have huge
issues here. As I pointed out there are perceptions this is difficult,
hard to listen to music. All of us,  we enjoy it and find it
incredibly entertaining. Bottom line, we need to make people feel
comfortable being part of what we love and there are many ways to do
it. We can argue our end of it all we want, it ain't helpin' people
listen and participate in the music. I've tried many different things
over the years, some have worked some not (Since you mention food on
your show, I began incorporating food into the Jazz Brunch in 1986 and
we were an important destination for the chefs of Boston as the food
scene grew. Todd English, Chris Schlesinger, Barbara Lynch, Ming Tsai,
Ken Orringer and many others were all guests on the program before
anyone knew their names. They are now national food stars. There are
50,000 a year at the Boston Wine Expo now when we started promoting it
during the first year, almost 20 years ago, there were only 2000,
believe me there are many ways of doing this. Food provided me with
huge visibility and it is still critical to what I do. It is the Jazz
Brunch after all). We can argue research, playlists,  all that stuff
till were blue in face and we do. Maybe the research is wrong and the
playlist limitations to restricting but I'm still not seeing anything
new that's going to help us get people to pay attention to the music.
We need to all begin thinking of things differently, as they say maybe
"start thinking outside the box" and wasn't that  your point in
beginning this discussion .

Jeff Turton
WFNX Jazz Brunch