Fwd: [JPL] Time To Re-Think How We Do Radio

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 10:17:01 EST 2009

That's true Fred. Billy did that for years because he understood the core problem. I'm surprised there weren't more shows like it but I think most felt he was taking care of that part of it but everyone wasn't carrying that show. This is one area where musicians could really help stations...if the stations are interested. Have sessions on air that are specifically for teaching listeners about the music. The other part of this it making sure the word gets out to the general public because otherwise it turns into preaching to the choir and your base won't grow much.

This was one of our problems when I started to produce the R&B Chronicles. Part of my main reason for producing this show was to help increase our African American listenership but we were promoting it...on air to the people that already listened. It wasn't until later when the print media got involved and wrote something about it that folks who didn't listen to us started to tune in for the show.

Most stations don't have advertising budgets to get the word out beyond their circles. When we can't do this it doesn't help us much when we're trying to do something new. We had another jazz benefit concert this past Friday night...part of a series I'm producing to showcase and help some of the top "local" jazz talent and it was nearly sold out. Out of that crowd there were about one third that never heard of us...the station. They heard about the concert in the newspaper and these folks are doctors, teachers, lawyers, carpenters, etc....Now they know there is jazz on WHRV. We can assume that because folks are intelligent...they tune it. Not necessarily the case.

Jae Sinnett