[JPL] Time To Re-Think How We Do Radio

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 22:13:51 EST 2009

Hmmmm...well Mike the majority I would say don't react positively to things they don't understand so I would disagree with your statement.  I've heard many times over the years people saying they don't like jazz. I asked many why and the answers are really based on ignorance. Most don't "know" why they don't like it or can tell you why from an informed platform. It's usually several different reasons but relating to the same thing. Improvisation and the rhythm. So yes in the case of jazz more need to "know" something about the music and secondly, again, they need to be made to believe there is a reason to tune in and listen and support it. This is great music but where are they hearing that outside of what we do?

Jazz doesn't have a large following simply because many folks "know" little or nothing about it. If it where the opposite case we wouldn't be having this discussion. Many of those that do like jazz don't really understand it...something in the music just reaches them...which falls into your discription... but they are the exceptions. These are the "non-musicians" and such that listen to us. In rock, pop, R&B, soul, etc...what do you have to know? Nothing really because it's self explanatory. Not so with jazz. It's like chess...or anything else that you want to appreciate of the thinking variety...if you know something about the subject you'll appreciate it all the more.

Also, when I talk about teaching people how to understand the music I'm not talking about musical application terminology. You adjust to who you're teaching. The "teaching" term can be mis-understood.

Jae Sinnett