[JPL] Time To Re-Think How We Do Radio

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Sun Jan 18 22:38:51 EST 2009

Jae,

I've been enjoying the topic although where you all get the time to write
at such length is beyond me. I am one slow typist.

The number one response to my jazz show is, "I don't like jazz, but I like
what you play." I believe a large part of that response is how I present
the music. I try to position myself as a fan first. I aim to keep any talk
short and focused, like good poetry. Many listeners ask for more
information thru calls or e-mails and I put a lot of details into my
posted playlist. Sometimes I'll play a very straight-ahead version of a
song and then an improv by another artist on the same song. I often play
the same song (Besame Mucho & Naima are examples) over and over through time
so hopefully the audience will feel it's familiar. I ask for requests
(e-mail for the most part as there are way too many calls for me to handle
when I give out the phone number). Mostly, I don't position myself as an
expert but as a lover of the music. Maybe it's my Quaker background but
humble rules. I make it clear that I'm here to learn as much as to share.

I know our world will change radically on Tuesday and I can't wait.
Finally we have a President who genuinely loves jazz and poetry.
As they say in the Crescent City, Yeah, you right!

Peace,

George

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio