[JPL] Time To Re-Think How We Do Radio

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 23:49:46 EST 2009

Well to me Mike public radio isn't just entertainment. It's about education and informing. In my view that's the primary mission. What we do CAN be entertaining and is a sidebar to that primary mission. Perhaps that's where our differences are here. You don't feel or see the need to try and to do what I say more of us should. That's okay. You're content with whoever tunes in to your show and if they like it great and if not...oh well. I don't feel that way. I see the success of my show and I'm not just entertaining. I want folks to understand that this is meaningful music. I think those that have the tools to help people understand this music should and the more we can reach the bigger our audience. I want the music to survive and it's struggling. That's obvious if you look at it objectively.

Every where I look jazz is hurting. Why? There is little jazz on so called jazz festivals. Jazz formats are disappearing. Jazz records don't sell. Few outside of jazz publications are writing about it. Jazz in music departments is hurting because of funding cutbacks. Yada, yada, yada. If your theory is correct then it should be better than this. You don't feel an oblication to inform your listeners or anyone else about this music. Just playing it is good enough. Not for me. I recognize the reason why jazz is hurting and I know I can do something about it.

I'm also tired of presenters bringing in Wynton Marsalis, Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, etc...over and over again because they know little or nothing about anyone else playing. I'm tired of seeing 2000 show up for Dave Brubeck and 130 for Kenny Barron. I'm tired of reading about those that don't need the press. I want to read about those that do and deserve it. I want to see jazz records selling. I want there to be jazz on jazz festivals and most importantly I want to see people in large numbers coming out to hear jazz that's not necessarily part of an "event." There is a major disconnect here and we can do a lot more to change this.

I do type fast George but my spelling is suspect.

Jae Sinnett
www.myspace.com/jaejazz