[JPL] Help In Celebration

Seymour, Bob BSeymour at wusf.org
Mon Jan 19 00:45:05 EST 2009

Hi, George --

I'll be recycling some ideas from my Nov 4 show, which might include:

Things Ain't What They Used to Be
Things Are Getting Better (probably Eddie Jefferson's)
Someone Else is Steppin' In (Ernestine Anderson's version)
A New World A-Comin'
Overjoyed
This is New
The Best is Yet to Come
On the South Side of Chicago (Freddy Cole, who's performing at Monday's
concert in DC)
Now's The Time
This Could Be the Start of Something Big (JJ & Kai)
Kate McGarry's version of The Times They Are A-Changin'
Petrucciani's Looking Up (pure joy and optimism)

And Dianne Reeves' version of "The House I Live In" from the "Higher
Ground" Katrina benefit at Lincoln Center. Seems perfect for the
occasion, and the song has quite a history.  (Ever since hearing that
performance, every time some hack does the National Anthem at a Super
Bowl or World Series, I wish they had Dianne's number-- and while I
really enjoyed a lot of the Lincoln Memorial HBO broadcast today, I
thought of her too when they faded out of a clip of Marian Anderson's
1939 performance there into Josh Groban on stage.)

Bob Seymour
Jazz Director
WUSF Public Broadcasting
bseymour at wusf.org
813-974-8648
www.wusf.org

-----

Hey JPLers,

Now that my dreams are being met, how do we celebrate?
I'm beginning to put together a celebratory show for
Tuesday night and wonder what you're playing.

So far I've got:

"Inaugural Balls" from Kenny Werner's "Lawn Chair Society"

Thanks,

George

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio