[JPL] Time To Re-Think How We Do Radio

s8nochaser at aol.com s8nochaser at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 02:26:17 EST 2009

 Jae,

I'm not all that important in the grand scheme of things....the music is.

And while I'm at it, I'm no longer in the business of tilting windmills.
With profound respect and enthusiasm, I/we present a wide variety of the musics referred to as jazz.
With one of the weekly programs on KSJS, I presented 45 musicians interviewed on the show in 2008 where we all 'learn' about the guest, his or her most recent recordings, and personal and professional insights as to how they go about making this great music from every aspect they can share with us.

We have a strong alliance with the blues community and broadcast? and co-host? a long standing blues fest each spring on the campus.

We're lucky in the SF Bay area; as promotional partners, we send our listeners to world class jazz venues like Yoshi's and Kuumbwa Jazz Center among others.
We send them to SF Jazz Festival events, The Stanford Jazz Workshop, and The Monterey Jazz Festival, and are a charter media partner with our own San Jose Jazz Society (which puts on San Jose Jazz Festival for 20 years). All of these festivals have an eduction and outreach mission as part of what they do.

We broadcast? on the campus of a major University? in located in the 10th largest? city in America.
Among our metal-head, hip-hopper and other young radio brothers & sisters, they appreciate that they have a connected jazz crew and many get to appreciate jazz through the exposure they get and include it among the ongoing music that they enjoy.

Yes Jae, I am very "content with whoever tunes into my show and if they like it great and if not...oh well."
I just do the footwork, not responsible for the results.

We're not *just entertainment*? either; we're part of the The Department of Radio/TV/Film & Theater at SJSU.
I'm referring to the fact that people will turn us on to listen to some great tunes...to get entertained, and while theyre at it probably get delighted and amazed once in a while!

We don't have to do fundraisers, and need not pander to those writing the checks? (not a new audience) who prepetuate mostly older style music at the expense of other things, which I've observed? for years at NPR pledge drives (not all, I'm sure, but certainly some of the larger outlets) .

Mike Schwartz/KSJS