[JPL] Tatum/ GG BPhatB

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Mon Jan 19 12:06:14 EST 2009

Good Morning JPL'ers,

I actually liked what they did with the Tatum solo superimposed on
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band arrangement of "Yesterdays."  It
certainly gets comments from listeners, mostly good.  I remember Miles
Davis deliberately not putting the names of musicians who played on a
recording just to mess with critics heads.  I wonder how many people
would ask "Is that Art Tatum" on that Gordon Goodwin recording, and how
many would actually find favor with the recording if they didn't know
how the sausage was actually made.  In this day and age of technology
we've seen doctoring with hip-hop sampling, Natalie Cole, Kenny G, Ray
Charles and now Gordon Goodwin.  I think one day this will not be an
issue.  Young people are not as insulted as many of us old school fans
are.  Of course you can't duplicate it live but there is video and wide
screens available to make it a different kind of presentation in a live
context.

Just musing...it's amusing!

Aloha,

Bobby