[JPL] Tatum/ GG BPhatB

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 12:42:16 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/19/2009 12:32:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org writes:

I wonder  how many people
would ask "Is that Art Tatum" on that Gordon Goodwin  recording, and how
many would actually find favor with the recording if  they didn't know
how the sausage was actually made.  In this day and  age of technology
we've seen doctoring with hip-hop sampling, Natalie Cole,  Kenny G, Ray
Charles and now Gordon Goodwin..>>

Perhaps I'm biased, being a bit of a big-band fanatic. But Goodwin's labor
is something truly creative: he did not cobble existing parts from the grave,
he  created the arrangement around one fixed element (Tatum's solo), which
imposed certain limitation.

Many of those other duets have a sense of the macabre, which is  an
appropriate comment for today, Edgar Allen Poe's bicentennial.  Natalie Cole's effort,
to my mind, was truly from the heart. The bulk of the  others are technical
experiments.

Technical question: how was Tatum's participation engineered? Was a piano
roll converted to electronic signals for an electronic piano, or into
instructions for a physical/pneumatic player that would thus yield an acoustic  piano
result?

Ed

**************Inauguration '09: Get complete coverage from the nation's
capital.(http://www.aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000027)