[JPL] WFCR Playlist/Jazz à la Mode, MLK Holiday tribute

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Mon Jan 19 15:23:25 EST 2009

WFCR Playlist/Jazz à la Mode, Monday, January 19, 2009
Music for the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123197292128083217.html Nat Hentoff on jazz and Civil Rights

8:00 PM Billy Taylor It's a Matter of Pride His Name Was Martin GRP 1994

8:07 PM Stanley Turrentine Easy Walker What the World Needs Now Is Love Blue Note 1967
8:14 PM Nina Simone Songs of Freedom and Spirit I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free Columbia 1967
8:17 PM Brother Jack McDuff Brotherly Love Time's Marchin' On Concord Jazz 2001

8:30 PM Oscar Peterson Night Train Hymn of Freedom Verve 1962
8:35 PM Oscar Peterson/Milt Jackson Very Tall John Brown's Body Verve 1961
8:43 PM Blue Mitchell Down With It! March on Selma Blue Note 1965

8:52 PM Clifford Jordan These Are My Roots Take This Hammer Koch Jazz 1966
8:56 PM Rene Marie Vertigo Dixie/Strange Fruit Max Jazz 2001
9:03 PM Charles Lloyd Lift Every Voice Lift Every Voice and Sing ECM 2002
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_Ev'ry_Voice_and_Sing Wikipedia entry on the Negro National Anthem

9:10 PM Duke Ellington Four Symphonic Works Les trois rois noirs Music Masters 1988 featuring Jimmy Heath

9:31 PM Monty Alexander The River Ain't Gonna Study War No More Concord Jazz 1990
9:35 PM Abbey Lincoln It's Me It's Me, O Lord Verve 2003
9:39 PM Jazz Crusaders The Best of Freedom Sound Pacific Jazz 1961

  9:49 PM Otis Spann Live the Life Blues for Martin Luther King Testament 1968
  9:53 PM Mahalia Jackson Gospels Spirituals & Hymns In My Home Over There Columbia 1963
  9:57 PM Bill Frissell History Mystery A Change Is Gonna Come Nonesuch 2008
10:06 PM Gene Harris In His Hands Will the Circle Be Unbroken Concord Jazz 1997

10:14 PM Marcus Shelby Harriett Tubman: Nurse, Scout, Spy Black Suffrage Blues Noir 2008
http://tinyurl.com/8jdw3d San Francisco Chronicle feature on Marcus Shelby
10:23 PM Archie Shepp The Cry of My People Come Sunday Impulse 1972
10:32 PM Charles Mingus Pre-Bird Prayer for Passive Resistance Mercury 1960

10:37 PM James Spaulding Songs of Courage King Muse 1991
10:45 PM Sonny Criss Portrait of Sonny Criss God Bless the Child Prestige 1967
10:51 PM Grant Green Feelin' the Spirit Nobody Knows the Troubles I've Seen Blue Note 1962

Tuesday: Golden Anniversary: Horace Silver's "Finger Poppin';" and we'll hear Duke Ellington's "New World a-Comin'" and Lee Morgan's "Search for the New Land"

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Friday, 8 - 11 p.m.

WFCR