[JPL] Time To Re-Think How We Do Radio

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 16:34:18 EST 2009

You're absolutely right Lazaro. At times it is one at a time. From this perspective my reference to radio in this splat was if there is more we can do. I believe there is. Your note also reminds me of this discussion I was in with some high school students in reference to Ellington. I was ask to come in and "introduce" Duke to these kids.

This was an "urban" school with low budget metal detectors with a creaky gym floor with dead spots. It was like a search and seize moment for me in that room. Talk and pay close attention to what whiff gets them to shut up and listen. I played some music...didn't work. Talked about it...didn't work. Then I thought about the societal mechanisms he had to deal...like having to ride in private Pullman railroad cars. "What's that?" "Why?" It was "one on one" for about five minutes but it got others to tune in. Like his manager putting his name on compositions he didn't write. "What?" "Really?" "That's fucked up." Teacher ignores comment...smartly. Then he styled all the way through this BS with class and grace and became a great and profound artist and man. That was "inspirational." There ya go. Now you give a shit about someone you didn't know before I appeared and they play jazz.

My point is whatever it took to get them to want to investigate Ellington I was going to do it. Since, I've had two parents of those kids contact and thank me for getting their sons to pull up Duke on the internet. Even checking out "his" MySpace page. Diggin the way he dressed cool in black and white. If he was that cool his music must be cool. I got to a few of them...one at a time. The next night my listening audience was bigger by 15 that I knew of.

Jae