[JPL] Time To Re-Think How We Do Radio

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 17:47:57 EST 2009

That's what I'm talking about.

Last week I interviewed Freddy Cole. As with almost all of the
musicians from his generation he talks about "reading" his audience
and adjusting his repertoire to them, to find what grooves them, then
hitting it and taking it home. I mentioned there are musicians who
come out, play and give a "take it or leave it" attitude, but that an
older generation knew how to taylor a performance to the crowd,
sighting B.B. King. Cole said, Sure, and when they come off they're
mad. The drummer didn't do this, or the sound didn't do that. All the
while not knowing it was them that didn't realize what was happening.
He said, They can die out there if they want, but I'm going to change.

Same thing with the kids in the classroom. You try things 'till you
find what works, recognize, and rub that spot 'til it shines.

The school I was at was very different. Someone mentioned Dizzy's
cheeks, and why did he do that? I said he was idiosyncratic. One kid
asked what that meant and the teacher jumped in, What does idio mean?
Class in unison said it. And what does syncrat mean? (I think that's
what he asked). Class in unison said it. Now put them together. "Oh."
I was like, damn: better bring up this game. These kids are too much!

LV