[JPL] Playlist: Songs of Freedom 1/19/09 WWUH, West Hartford

cobuchow at aol.com cobuchow at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 19:39:23 EST 2009

Greetings JPLers,

I?produced my first?"Songs of Freedom"?program?on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s?birthday in 1988?for WHUS-FM at the University of Connecticut. Since then, I've enjoyed honoring King's legacy every January with thematic music and excerpts from MLK speeches and writings.?Here's my playlist from this morning's show on WWUH, 91.3 FM at the University of Hartford, 9 am - noon, Eastern.

SONGS OF FREEDOM 2009: Dr.?King's Legacy in Music on the Eve of?President-elect Barack?Obama's Inauguration

hosted by Chuck Obuchowski, WWUH Jazz Director: cobuchow at aol.com

artist - song - album - release date (no date listed for?recent releases)?- label

Dianne Reeves - Today Will Be a Good Day - When You Know (2008) - Blue Note
Charlie Haden/Hank Jones - We Shall Overcome - Steal Away: Spirituals, Hymns & Folk Songs (1995) - Verve
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - speech excerpt (Atlanta, 2/4/1968) - In Search of Freedom (1995)?- Polygram
Larry Gelb - title track - America Is Free - Imaginmusic.com

Denys Baptiste - title track - Let Freedom Ring! (2005) - Dune
Baptiste's album "celebrating 40th anniversary of MLK's historic 'I Have a Dream' oration"
Max Roach (feat. Andy Bey) - title track - Members Don't Git Weary (1968) - Atlantic
John Coltrane - Song of the Underground Railroad - Africa/Brass (1961) - Impulse

Uros Marcovic Gospel Jazz Trio - Glory Glory Hallelujah - Jesus Saves - CTA
Noah Baerman - Montgomery, 1956 - Soul Force [MLK Tribute]?(2005) - lemelmusic.com
MLK - "On Being a Good Neighbor" sermon excerpt (1956)
Noah Baerman - title track - Bliss - lemelmusic.com
Cynthia Felton - Long as You're Living - Afro Blue: The Music of Oscar Brown, Jr. - cynthiafelton.com
Gil Scott Heron & Brian Jackson - Must Be Something - First Minute of a New Day?(1975) - Arista

The Blue Note 7 - In Search of Peace - Mosaic: A Celebration of Blue Note Records
Dan Cavanagh's Jazz Emporium Big Band - A Time of Reckoning - Pulse - OA2
MLK - "America Must Establish Priorities ..."?(3/28/1968)
Stevie Wonder - Black Man ["This world was made for all ..."] - Songs in the Key of Life (1976) - Motown
Maria Muldaur - We Shall Be Free - Yes We Can! - Telarc

Oliver Nelson/Eric Dolphy - March On, March On - Screamin' the Blues (1960) - Prestige
MLK - excerpt from "A Christmas Sermon on Peace" (Dec. 1967)
Frank Macchia - Swing Low, Sweet Chariot -?Saxolollapalooza - Cacophony, Inc.
Vinnie Cutro - Freedom Jazz Dance - Sakura - Royal Music Ensembles Records
Will Scruggs Jazz Fellowship - Redemption Song - BlueBari Jam (2007) - Summit
Julius Hemphill Sextet - title track/Ascension - At Dr. King's Table (1997) - New World Counter Currents

Jay Hoggard - Prayin' Out Loud - Soular Power - JHVM
Ray Brown, Jr. (feat. Dr. Lonnie Smith) - Everybody's Cryin' Mercy - Friends & Family - SRI Jazz
Duke Ellington - King Fit the Battle of Alabam' - My People (1970) - Flying Dutchman
Oliver Lake Organ Trio - I Want to Walk with Jesus - Makin' It - Passin' Thru
MLK - excerpt from "Letter from Birmingham City Jail" (1963)
Jonathon Scales - Plot/Scheme - Old Jailhouse - jonscales.com

Steve Million - Open the Book/Hymnal - Remembering the Way Home - Origin
MLK - opening address at the 1964?Berlin Jazz Festival - "On the Importance of Jazz"
Henke/Sturm/Espina - Just a Closer Walk with Thee?- Tricycle - Water Street Music
Anat Cohen - A Change Is Gonna Come - Notes from the Village - Anzic

Phil Ranelin - Livin' in a New Day - Living a New Day - WideHive
Maria Muldaur - Yes We Can Can - Yes We Can! - Telarc

WWUH 91.3 FM
Chuck Obuchowski, Jazz Music Director
200 Bloomfield Ave.
West Hartford, CT? 06117
http://wwuh.org
860-768-4701
office hours: Tuesdays, noon - 4 p.m, Eastern