[JPL] Motown Info

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 19:43:03 EST 2009

Back in the 60's Motown release some "spoken word" recordings. I remembered the one with Stokely Carmichael. I also know they released one with "Leroi Jones" and Langston Hughes. Would anyone happen to be familiar with those recordings or have copies? While I was thinking about one of my R&B Chonicles features this thought came to me about these recordings. Not sure if I can find them. I was also thinking about the white artists Motown recorded...not many but there were a few. One group (which their sub label for white rock artists was named after) I will feature is Rare Earth. It's funny in that maybe some remember Gil Scott-Heron's masterpiece "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised." In it one line said "The theme song to the revolution will not be sung by Jim Webb, Glen Campbell, Francis Scott Key, Johnny Cash, Tom Jones or the Rare Earth." Funny. I wonder if they knew about that.

Jae Sinnett