[JPL] WMUA Jazz Report for 1/19/09

ken-irwin at comcast.net ken-irwin at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 14:06:18 EST 2009

Folks:
Here is our latest report.  We have a new year, and a new start with President Obama.  Now if it would just warm up a bit here in the Northeast... we are, after all, entitled to a January Thaw.  I am thinking of spring already and have already signed on for the 2009 Jazzweek Summit.  I hope to see lots of old, and new friends there in June.
Peace,
Ken

WMUA Jazz Report for 1/19/09

CMJ Top Ten

1. Paul Hemmings - Letter from America - Leading Tone
2. John Burnett Swing Orch. - West of State St./East of Harlem – Delmark
3. Eliane Elias - Bossa Nova Stories - Blue Note
4. Michel Benita - Ramblin' - Nocturne
5. Frank Sinatra –On the Radio: the Lucky Strike...Shows 1949-50 Acrobat
6. Martial Solal - I Can't Give You Anything But Love - Cam Jazz
7. Lisa Hearns - I Got it Bad and that Ain't Good - Lisa Hearns
8. Mary Halvorson Trio - Dragon's Head - Firehouse 12 Records
9. Tony Malaby Cello Trio - Warblepeck - Songlines
10. Wayne Wallace Latin Jazz Quintet – Infinity – Patois

The Rest of the Top 25

11. Barbara King - Perfect Timing - CCC Music
12. Sonny Rollins - Road Shows, Vol 2 - Decca/Emarcy
13. Allison Adams Tucker - Come With Me - alisonadamstucker
14. Iron City - Put the Flavor On It - IronCityJazz.com
15. Benny Powell - Nextep - Origin
16. Bill Cunliffe - The Blues and the Abstract Truth - Resonance Records
17. Todd Coolman - Perfect Strangers - ArtistShare
18. Mark Rapp - Mark Rapp - Paved Earth
19. Joey DeFrancisco - Joey D! - Highnote
20. Ran Blake - Driftwoods - Tompkins Square
21. Randy Brecker - Randy in Brazil - MAMA Records
22. Freddie Bryant & Kaleidoscope - Live At Smoke - Fresh Sound/World Jazz
23. Miles Davis - Broadcast sessions, 1958-59 - Acrobat Music
24. Laika Fatien - Misery - Blujazz
25. Brad Goode - Polytonal Dance Party - Origin

ADDS For 1/19/09

Ravi Coltrane – Blending Times – Savoy Jazz
Orbert Davis & Chicago Jazz Phil. – Collective Creativity – 3 Sixteen Records
Rick Frank – Yellow Mountain – Decker Creek Records
Vitaly Golovnev – To Whom It May Concern – Tippin’ Records
Rocco John Group – Devotion – Coca
Colleen McNabb – Don’t Go To Strangers – Zucca Records
Vince Mendoza – Blauklang – ACT
Hendrik Meurkens – Samba To Go! – Zoho
Miami Saxophone Quartet – Fourtified – Fourtitude Records
Jane Monheit – The Lovers, The Dreamers, & Me – Concord
Margie Notte – Just You, Just Me & Friends; Live at Cecil’s – Gnote Records
Mark O’Connor’s Hot Swing Trio – Live In New York – OMAC Records
Andy Scott – Don’t Tempt Me – www.andyjazz.com
Gary Smulyan – High Noon; The Jazz Soul of Frankie Lane – Reservoir
John Stetch – tvtrio – www.johnstetch.com
Paul Sullivan – Break Away – River Music
Mark Weinstein – Lua e Sol – Jazzheads

--
Ken Irwin
Jazz Music Director and Host of "Java Jazz"

Web: www.wmua.org
E-mail: jazz at wmua.org
E-mail: ken-irwin at comcast.net
Phone: 413-545-2876