[JPL] David Fathead Newman, 1933-2009 Gentle, soulful David Newman is gone (Doug Ramsey Rifftides)

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 23 08:00:13 EST 2009

http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2009/01/david_fathead_newman_1933-2009.
html

David Fathead Newman, 1933-2009
Gentle, soulful David Newman is gone. He died on Monday.

"Fathead" was a nickname that became a promotional tag, but those close to
him knew him as David. They seemed always to say the name with affection
whether they were speaking to or about him. He once told the story of his
nickname.

I was in band class and I had this music on my music stand but it was upside
down ... He [Mr. Miller] knew I could barely read the music right side up.
He thumped me on the head and called me 'Fathead.' My classmates laughed.
After that, it became my trademark. I don't consider it derogatory and it
doesn't offend me. If someone asked me what I prefer to be called, it would
be David. But Fathead doesn't bother me at all.

Newman was one of Ray Charles's favorite musicians from the time Charles
emerged as a star. He recorded his biggest success, "Hard Times," at a 1958
session for which Charles was producer, arranger and pianist. The piece
became his signature tune. For the last year of his life, he kept on playing
as long as he could despite the pancreatic cancer that finally slowed him.
Often, he appeared with student musicians, whom he loved to teach and
encourage. From my notes for one of his last CDs:

As he approaches his mid seventies, David Newman's pace is not slower; he is
merely moving toward different audiences. Like many jazz musicians, he tries
to stay away from clubs, with their late hours and the smoke his doctor says
he must avoid. The success of his CDs and of a film about Ray Charles put
him in greater demand than ever. He is accepting concert offers, playing
festivals and doing clinics.

At one of his concerts recently, his encore was a B-flat blues with a
searing flute solo. He and the sixteen-piece band from Central Washington
University rocked the hall and got a standing ovation. Newman smiled when I
remarked on it later, then delivered what for him was an effusion of
self-satisfaction. "Yes, I was very pleased with that," he said

Here is David Newman in a recent performance of the song from which he was
inseparable. The video is shaky and cuts off the second his solo ends, but
it is a fine solo and a fine way to remember him.