[JPL] The US should emulate Canada in this

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 24 23:35:19 EST 2009

My compadre, Luis Mario, is correct, but I should add that there is also
funding available for promotion and marketing for artists in some of the
various support agencies, like the Foundation To Assist Canadian Talent
On Record (FACTOR), which doesn't fund a lot of jazz projects,
and some of the provincial associations have similar programs.

It's possible to get perhaps 50 or 60% of a recording project costs, including
some of the manufacturing, through a combination of different funding programs.

I've done so many of these applications and served on juries to determine
the fate
of these applications that I can't count.

Luis Mario is also correct that a lot of these projects have a long life in
the cardboard
boxes they arrive in from the manufacturer if the artist doesn't have a
grasp on reality
and doesn't know how to get them out of the boxes and to consumers.  I
should mention too that
back in the days of record labels (: , a number of these funded projects
were released
on real record labels too.  It was a win-win situation.

For  a lot of the FACTOR and provinical program, the funds are granted on a
forgiveable loan
basis, written off usually after a number of years, providing the artist
has made some attempt at
sales.  The Canada Council grants were just that, grants.

Artists can even apply to the Canada Council for funding to hire a manager
or agent for
a special project(s), to develop websites, and there's even funding for
managers/agents too.

As for the taxpayers getting concerned about it, in my opinion, I think the
people
who like to use the arts as a whipping boy are the ones who harp about such
programs
the most.  Like the current right wing  government.  I don't think most
taxpayers are
overly concerned about such programs, certainly not in Manitoba where I am.
We love
our arts in Canada.

Note:  these programs also support touring - both nationally and
internationally.  It's not
a given that you'll get funding. One has to apply, but one of the groups I
worked with had
a great tour in Europe late last year, with financial support for the
Canada Council.  Most
of the Canadian artists/groups that play at the annual jazz festivals tour
with Council funds.
That info will be announced in a couple of weeks, making some people happy,
and some not so.

Maurice Hogue
CKUW Winnipeg