[JPL] 50 great moments in jazz

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 17:28:56 EST 2009

Well I'll disagree with Dan Morgenstern. Reese Europe was dealing with the blues...to a degree...not the ODJB and if anyone set a foudation for jazz...on record... it was him...long before the ODJB. They weren't calling it jazz then but if it were in "transition" as Morgenstern states then it's definitely a starting point. From my perspective Europe's direction came closer to the point of a jazz conception than Morganstern is giving him credit for. Europe also understood improvisation as did the ODJB but to blow him off solely based on a presumption as only dealing with late ragtime is premature.

Jae Sinnett