[JPL] Fwd: Possible demise of Jazz FM89.5, WMOT

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Tue Jan 27 15:27:39 EST 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Possible demise of Jazz FM89.5, WMOT
Date: 	Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:02:46 -0600
From: 	Lori Mechem & Roger Spencer <directors at nashvillejazz.org>

Dear Friends of Jazz,
	WMOT, a 24-hour Jazz radio station located in middle Tennessee which
has been on air for 40 years, is in serious danger of being
terminated by the administration of Middle Tennessee State
University, which funds the station. Following is a letter composed
by our Board President, Larry Seeman, to our email list outlining
what the situation is and what may be done to help.
	We would welcome any additional assistance from you in the form of
actions outlined in the email and would appreciate any further
suggestions you may have regarding saving this valuable and
irreplaceable resource. We have already had a fund raiser at the
Nashville Jazz Workshop that brought in over $5800, but this effort
really is more about the politics of the decision making process than
any money we can raise is the short term.
	We need name Jazz artists, celebrities and politicians to voice the
importance and the need to keep this station on the air as a Jazz
station. Please consider the situation and do what you can to help.

Sincere Thanks,
Roger Spencer
Director, Nashville Jazz Workshop

WMOT FACED WITH ELIMINATION: EVENTS PLANNED IN SUPPORT

As you may have seen in the Tennessean
(www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009901080320) or on
News Channel 5 (www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=9643978),
WMOT, Jazz 89.5 fm, faces possible elimination in the budget cuts MTSU
will be making very soon. We know budget cuts will be needed, but WMOT
is a vital resource for the jazz community in Middle Tennessee. The
loss would be catastrophic. This month, all jazz fans and those who
care about the arts community in the midstate must take action in
support of the station, to let the University administration how vital
the station is and how much you support it. Here's what you can do:

1. Let the University administration know of your support for WMOT.

MTSU's President is Dr. Sidney McPhee (email:smcphee at mtsu.edu), Room
0110 Bldg CAB, MTSU, Murfreesboro, TN 37132. to let him know how
strongly we support WMOT. You can also contact Dr. Roy L. Moore
(email: rlmoore at mtsu.edu), Dean of the College of Mass Communication.
If WMOT survives, it will need more financial support from the
community than it has gotten to date. Let them know that you will
support WMOT financially.

2. Attend the February 5 Save the Jazz benefit in Murfreesboro:

This from Alli Scott, General Manager of WMTS Student-Run Radio at
MTSU:
"As most of you know, WMOT Jazz 89.5 fm is being considered to be cut
during the next budget cuts at MTSU. We cannot let this happen. The
station is such an important asset not just to Middle Tennessee State
but to the Middle Tennessee Community.

"WMTS Student-Run Radio 88.3 fm along with the MTSU School of Music
will
be hosting a Benefit Concert in support of the station on Thursday,
February 5th at 7pm at Club 527 Main St. here in Murfreesboro. The
admission is free, although donations are suggested as this is a
fundraising event. The most important part about this concert,
however, is to just get the word out so we can pack the house!

"We have to let President McPhee see that this station is truly
needed. I hope you all can make it out to show your support. It is
going to be a great fun-filled night of smooth jazz along with the
Middle Tennessee community. I have attached the poster along with a
handout that can be printed. I would love the help getting the word
out! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Thanks so
much for your support! May the jazz live on!"

Alli Scott
General Manager
WMTS 88.3 FM
manager at wmts.org

  3.  Attend the All-Star Jazz Rally for WMOT Sunday, February 15 at
Limelight.

NJW, along with the Nashville Jazz Orchestra and the Tennessee Jazz&
Blues Society, is a rally for WMOT Sunday, February 15, 3 pm at
Limelight, 201 Woodland Street in Nashville. The purpose is to
mobilize support for WMOT. We want the news media and the University
to know how many people in the community support this station, so it's
important for as many of us to be there as possible. Tell all your
friends and associates, and anyone you know who loves jazz!

The top jazz musicians in Nashville are donating their services to
make this an incredible afternoon of music. The lineup includes:

* The Nashville Jazz Orchestra, with Connye Florance, Annie Sellick,
and Matt Belsante. (with a special guest appearance by Felix Cavaliere
of Rascals fame, with Diane Marino).

* Victor Wooten

* Rod McGaha

* The Pat Coil Sextet

* El Movimiento, with Rahsaan Barber, Edwin Santiago,&  Giovanni
Rodriguez.

Admission is only $15, with all proceeds going to benefit WMOT. The
reason the cost is so low is that we want as many people as possible
to attend. The venue will hold over 1,000 people -- let's fill it up!
We fully expect that many jazz lovers and supporters of WMOT will
pledge support to the station over and above this modest cover charge.

Watch for more information and another email about this event in the
very near future. In the meantime, mark your calendars and tell your
friends!