[JPL] Superbowl story: The Terrible Towel

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Thu Jan 29 21:09:31 EST 2009

January 30, 2009

  Cope Gave Terrible Towels a Wonderful Legacy

By JOHN BRANCH
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/john_branch/index.html?inline=nyt-per>

There is one Steelers
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/profootball/nationalfootballleague/pittsburghsteelers/index.html?inline=nyt-org>
fan in Pittsburgh ambivalent about the team's success.

"It's actually been really hard for me, with the Steelers going to the
Super Bowl
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/s/super_bowl/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>,"
the 38-year-old Elizabeth Cope said. "Because I have to see the Terrible
Towels everywhere. It's great. But it hurts."

The towels are a swirling reminder of her father, Myron Cope, a longtime
Pittsburgh broadcaster credited with creating the Terrible Towel in
1975. Before he died last February
<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/sports/football/29cope.html?ref=sports>
at age 79, Elizabeth Cope watched last year's Super Bowl with him in his
hospital room. She draped his coffin with a quilt that a fan had made
out of Terrible Towels.

But the great part comes from what each of those towels does for people
like Danny Cope, Myron's son and Elizabeth's older brother.

Myron Cope left behind something far more personal than a legacy of
terrycloth, a battle flag for a city and its team. In 1996, he handed
over the trademark to the Terrible Towel to the Allegheny Valley School
<http://www.avs.net/>. It is a network of campuses and group homes
across Pennsylvania for people with severe intellectual and
developmental disabilities. It receives almost all the profits from
sales of the towels.

Danny Cope is one of the roughly 900 people the school serves. He has
been a resident since 1982, when he was a teenager. He was diagnosed
with severe mental retardation when he was 2. He is now 41.

"He's never spoken," Elizabeth Cope said. "Which is kind of funny,
because Dad is known for his voice. It's almost like the Terrible Towel
is Danny's silent voice."

Hundreds of thousands of the towels --- trademarked as "Myron Cope's the
Official Terrible Towel" --- are sold every year, for about $7 each.
Through the Steelers, who handle the marketing of the towels
<http://news.steelers.com/catalog/TerribleStuff/>, the school receives a
check every month, usually for tens of thousands of dollars.

A Super Bowl changes everything. The company that produces the towels,
McArthur Towel & Sports of Baraboo, Wis., produced 450,000 of them last
week, after the Steelers won the A.F.C. championship. The company
expects to duplicate that this week before Sunday's game against the
Arizona Cardinals
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/profootball/nationalfootballleague/arizonacardinals/index.html?inline=nyt-org>,
its president, Gregg McArthur, said.

A Steelers victory would most likely lead to orders of at least 500,000
more for a pair of Super Bowl versions of the Terrible Towel, one with
the score against the Cardinals, the other declaring the Steelers as
six-time Super Bowl champions.

Before this season, Allegheny Valley School had received more than $2.5
million from the towels since 1996, said its chief executive officer,
Regis Champ. Roughly $1 million of that came during and immediately
after the 2005 season, when the Steelers won Super Bowl XL. This season
is likely to top that.

"It's an incredible help for us," Champ said. "We're a nonprofit
organization, and our primary funding is through Medicaid
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/medicaid/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>.
While Medicaid is very good to people with disabilities, it is limited
in what it will cover."

Champ said that Myron Cope wanted the money to go not for construction
projects, but for individual assistance for residents. Recent purchases
include high-end specialized wheelchairs and sensory programs that allow
severely disabled residents, including quadriplegics, to perform tasks
such as turning on lights or music with a movement of their eyes.

The money has also been spent on adaptive communication devices,
computers that give voice to those who cannot speak. Danny Cope has one.

The checks are usually spent as they are received.

"Our needs are daily," Champ said.

Elizabeth Cope receives none of the proceeds from the Terrible Towel.
Her father (whose wife, Mildred, died in 1994) transferred the trademark
out of gratitude to the school.

"He came into my office, and he had a pile of papers," Champ said. "He
threw them down on my desk and said, 'Regis, I'm giving you the Terrible
Towel.' I said, 'Myron, I have about 10 of them. I'll take another one,
but ...

"He said, 'No, I'm giving you the rights, and you'll be able to get all
the proceeds from the Terrible Towels.' I was speechless. I knew that
this would be the legacy that outlived Myron."

The idea for the towels came out of a 1975 meeting Cope had at WTAE, the
Steelers' flagship radio station where he was the voice of the Steelers
<http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08058/860753-13.stm>. Executives wanted
a promotional gimmick, something to raise the excitement level during
the playoffs.

Pittsburgh's blue-collar fans were not the pompom types. But towels were
far more utilitarian, useful for wiping the seats or protecting against
the chill. Cope dubbed them Terrible Towels. On air, he encouraged fans
to bring gold or black towels to the first playoff game against the
Colts
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/profootball/nationalfootballleague/indianapoliscolts/index.html?inline=nyt-org>.
It seemed too gimmicky, until about half the crowd began waving them at
the start of the game. The Steelers won their second consecutive Super
Bowl, surrounded by a sea of swirling towels.

Soon they were trademarked and mass-produced. They have been imitated by
other franchises, but usually they are handed out for free, and they
feel both unoriginal and uninspired by comparison. Even the N.F.L.
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_football_league/index.html?inline=nyt-org>
could not contain itself; it is selling a white "Trophy Towel" to fans
of both the Steelers and the Cardinals.

"When I see other towels in other stadiums, I know they probably have no
personal story behind them," Elizabeth Cope said. She said she has
"millions" of them at home, and recently donated some framed originals
to a Pittsburgh museum. There is one displayed at the Pro Football Hall
of Fame.

Myron Cope was treasured in Pittsburgh for his enthusiasm, nasally voice
and quirky exclamations such as "Yoi!" and "Double yoi!" But he knew he
would be most remembered for the towel. And he made sure that it would
always be more than just something to cheer the Steelers to victory.

When Danny Cope arrived at Allegheny Valley School, Myron Cope told
Champ that doctors said he needed 24-hour supervision and would never be
able to work.

Danny Cope, who is also autistic, now lives in a supervised group home
with four others in a Pittsburgh suburb. He shops and goes to sports
events. He has a paying job, packaging pretzels and snacks on an
assembly line.

"Myron said that he was thankful for the life his son had," Champ said.

The connective threads are strong. Many of the Terrible Towels go
through a workshop in Chippewa Falls, Wis., similar to the one where
Danny Cope works. About 80 employees with severe disabilities help fold,
tag and box the shipments, McArthur said.

Come Sunday, when the Terrible Towels are swirling around Raymond James
Stadium, they may also be swirling around Danny Cope. His friends like
to watch the games, and Cope understands the Terrible Towels mean
something exciting is happening.

"But as far as the legacy his father left?" Champ said. "No, I'm afraid
Danny doesn't understand that."

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations