[JPL] Ivo Papasov & Billy Harper questions

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Sat Jan 31 15:35:32 EST 2009

Bill Barton,

Michael Hurzon is handling the outstanding new Billy Harper,
see info below.

George

> from George Thomas at VPR:
>

> "10:02 PM
> Africa Revisited (Where Dat Stuff Come From? - Part 1)
> Artist Name     Billy Harper
> Composer        Billy Harper / Amiri Baraka
> Soloists        Billy Harper-Tenor Sax ; Amiri Baraka-Spoken Word ;
> Francesca
> Tanksley-Piano ; Aaron Scott-Drums ; Keyon Harrold-Trumpet ; Charles
> McNeal-Alto Sax
> CD/Album        Blueprints Of Jazz, Vol. 2
> Record co./Cat #        Talking House 0810-019
> Release Year    2009
> Note    New
>
> 10:21 PM
> Knowledge Of Self (Where Dat Stuff Come From? - Part 2)
> Artist Name     Billy Harper
> Composer        Billy Harper / Amiri Baraka
> Soloists        Billy Harper-Tenor Sax ; Amiri Baraka-Spoken Word ;
> Francesca
> Tanksley-Piano ; Aaron Scott-Drums ; Keyon Harrold-Trumpet ; Charles
> McNeal-Alto Sax
> CD/Album        Blueprints Of Jazz, Vol. 2
> Record co./Cat #        Talking House 0810-019
> Release Year    2009
> Note    New"
>
>      (new Billy Harper!  long overdue!  what is this label? who do I need
> to contact to get a review copy?)
>
> Thanks.
-------------------------------
In the mail and on your desk soon two new releases from TAKING HOUSE
RECORDS! Airplay starts 2/02/09.

Blueprints Of Jazz Vol.1 MIKE CLARK made his mark on the jazz scene as a
drummer in Herbie Hancock's band in the 70's, particularly with the
release of Hancock's groundbreaking album Thrust in 1974. The album
features "Actual Proof", a song in which Mike breaks down the barrier
between funk and jazz, laying down a solid up-tempo funk rhythm while
simultaneously improvising jazz fills and accents. This seminal recording
caught the ear of musicians everywhere, and gained Mike a cult status
among drummers. Over three decades later, Blueprints of Jazz captures the
current sound of Mike Clark, and finds him still at the top of his game,
performing with a top notch group that includes Christian McBride (bass),
Patrice Rushen (piano), Donald Harrison (alto sax), Christian Scott
(trumpet), and Jed Levy (tenor sax).

Blueprints Of Jazz Vol.2 BILLY HARPER was born in Houston in 1943 and was
immersed in the "Texas tenor" tradition as he developed on his instrument.
Graduating from North Texas State University and then moving to New York
in 1966, Billy began his brilliant career as a professional musician just
as the career of another brilliant saxophonist by the name of John
Coltrane was coming to a close. Influenced by Coltrane's sound and the
vibe of the jazz scene in New York at that time, Billy pushed forward with
a big, majestic sound of his own. Over the next ten years, the sound of
Billy Harper could be heard playing with some of the greatest musicians of
that era, including Gil Evans, Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Thad Jones, Mel
Lewis, and Max Roach. Billy's sound has continued to evolve, with a unique
rhythmic emphasis and vocal like character, and always an underlying
spiritual quality as well. Never one to join the latest fad or compromise
for commercial reasons, Billy's music represents his true artist vision.
This vision can be heard on Billy Harper's Blueprints of Jazz recording,
which includes Francesca Tanksley (piano), Clarence Seay (bass), Louie
Spears (bass), Keyon Harrold (trumpet), Aaron Scott (drums), and features
spoken word poetry from Amiri Baraka.
Thanks!
Michael J. Hurzon
The Tracking Station